Adotech IV

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by willscarlett, Nov 14, 2019.

1. I'm looking for a little clarification regarding the processing instructions for CMS 20 II with Adotech IV. After translating from German, I'm a little confused about the agitation scheme. I'll link the PDF below, but on the third page, the fifth column on the chart "Kipprythmus (die ersten 30 Sek permanent)" - my understanding is that it says you invert for the first 30 seconds, and then looking down into the column, once or twice per minute, depending on how you rated the film.

However, scroll down to the fourth page and look under the "Kipprhythmus" header for more inversion info. It says to move your developing tank in the form of an 8 for the first 30 seconds, then move it in the shape of an 8 once every 30 seconds after that. After that, it says Adox recommends the "tilt development method" which achieves the best results.

So, ok - agitation scheme... for the first 30 seconds and then once or twice per minute, depending on exposure, or for the first 30 seconds and then once every 30 seconds after that? As for the agitation pattern... tilt development, or this figure 8?

Having said all that, I did develop a roll of CMS 20 II tonight that I rated at ISO 6. Followed the Adotech IV instructions and didn't do a prewash, used a 1:14 dilution and kept the developer at 20ยบC. Did a very gentle tilt agitation for the first 30 seconds, then once per minute after that. The data sheets says 10.5 to 11 minutes, I did 10:45. One minute in the stop bath, one minute in the fixer, four minutes permawash, 5 minutes in the wash and 30 seconds in photo flo. The negs look great - definitely one of the better rolls of CMS 20 II that I've seen come out of using Adotech. The contrast is much more controlled and the negatives look like a standard roll of film.

So, even tho the negs look good, I'm still curious as to what Adox recommends.

Thanks!

https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/images/products/media/62175_4_PDF-Datenblatt.pdf

2. Oh dear, another nail in the coffin of common sense.

Performing wrist callisthenics while developing film might pass the time a bit more interestingly, but believe me, the film and developer simply don't care.

What mixes the solution during inversion agitation is the airspace bubbling through the liquid. And that cares not a jot about 'figure-of-eight' motions or any other nonsense. In fact a simple, sharp inversion of the tank leads to better mixing of stale and fresh developer, which is the sole and whole point of agitation. Full stop.