Adorama's Excessive Intrusion

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by ericphelps, Feb 8, 2020.

1. I suppose when I intentionally go to a site, then I shouldn't be surprised to get ads
    for whatever I looked up. Though it is still surprising where they come out.

But if one doesn't (intentionally) go to a site, then it seems strange, or even wrong.

I often enough look up something without actually intending to buy it, such as if I
    want to mention it in discussion here. But obviously it doesn't know that.

My favorite, though, when I was looking for articles about radial transmission lines
    (that is, the electrical version) and getting ads for transmission (as in cars) repair
    stores.

mikemorrell likes this.
  2. I see, a work around may be going into cognitio mode in chrome or other anonymous browsing in another browser, a VPN would also hide your IP to further keep your anonymity.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  3. Creepy!

Reading point 6 of Adorama's privacy policy, it seems to me that linking website analytics to personal information (e-mail address) is not their policy. Might be worth complaining and seeing how they react. By the sound of it, E-marketing is something they've outsourced.

Mike

4. I got today e-mail from Amazon about carbon monoxide detectors.

I looked them up about two years ago, then bought one from Home Depot.
    Why they e-mail now, I have no idea.

5. Hi,

I was sorry to see your feedback on the experience from our website. I've sent this to our Marketing team for review to help improve on customers' experience in the future. If you have further details to add, please do let me know.

Sincerely,

Nancy Miller
    Adorama CS Ambassador
    nancym@adorama.com

6. they found you eric!

ericphelps likes this.
  7. Hi Nancy, Does Adorama in fact send unsolicited emails? ( I have also experienced the same as eric from many vendors i have visited online, a turn off imo) ... If so is there any real possibility that a fine store (in my experience) like Adorama would change their policy since the programming is available?

8. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

and

It occurs to me the probable logical chain of events was 'ericphelps' initially supplied an email address to Adorama and also agreed to Adorama contacting that email address; then 'ericphelps' got upset when Adorama did.

Which begs the questions:

1. Did 'ericphelps' firstly contact Adorama and air his concerns to them – or did he make the choice to only vent here?
    2. If the answer to question 1 is "Did not contact Adorama, chose to vent here", then what were the reasons for that choice?

It seems thus far, those answers are not disclosed and those answers go to the point: if one wants a resolution to an issue or an apology for an action - then surely is it not the best course of action, to initially go to the source?

WW

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. There are ways to foil tracking cookies like doubleclick, including using a VPN. However when you log into a website like Adorama (Amazon, B&H, or anything Google), all bets are off. People tend to buy things related to what they've purchased before or simply looked at. Directed advertising is much more effective than "junk" email, broadcast at random.

I get a lot of hits from B&H, some of which I find useful. Not so much from Adorama, which has a website I find less friendly, and their inventory status unreliable.

You have the option of "opting out" of advertising, which may have the effect of marking you as an active listener, bringing on even more concerted advertising. Google "assumes" using any of their services, including gmail, constitutes consent to all of their tracking and ads. Ad-blocking services often sell your name to advertisers, which are then allowed to bypass their blocks.

The best solution is probably to ignore and delete.

10. Thanks Mike, and there's likely the answer, they might not have control or awareness of what the contractor is doing.

11. WW, no need to 'beg' the question, I'll answer it handily. No I didn't contact Adorama before posting the experience here knowing full well that the company wouldn't change a successful marketing tool based on the complaint of one customer. Perhaps you can share some of the quick turn-around changes you've elicited from companies after complaining?

Most of my experiences with online companies are positive, but when complaints are made the response usually mirrors the weak tea offered by Adorama's representative post above.

Yes, I have bought from them and of course supplied my email address for purchase, but the point of my complaint is that they should not intercept an anonymous 'check-out click' generated by Google and then follow it up with 2 emails encouraging me to buy now!

As I said in my initial post, this was my first experience with this type of intrusive 'we've got you' marketing, and it's detestable. I've deleted their 'cookies', and spammed their email address, and there are many alternatives for photo equipment available. Perhaps 75% of my purchases are online and successful for many years yet even Amazon hasn't intruded in this manner.

I'm wasn't fishing for an apology WW, I'm actually very grown up, and know that the best course is to simply avoid companies that don't do business in that manner.

12. Because it costs them virtually nothing, and there is always the chance you might respond to one of their emails. Years ago, I bought a car from a local dealership. I still get a card every Christmas (going on 20 years or more now) from the salesman I bought the car from. While I have yet to go to him again (because I buy a different make of car now), there's always the chance he might get another sale from me. When I coached my son's baseball team years ago, one of the other kid's parents was a developer. I'd get occasional emails from him for years (well after the kids were no longer playing ball) advertising houses he'd built, and always wondered why he bothered since I had no intention of ever moving. Circumstances changed one year, and lo and behold, I ended up buying a house from him. Whatever he spent sending me emails (which had to be virtually nothing) was made up for many times in the profit he made from me buying a house from him.

13. The thing about them and other companies is that they think just because you bought a 900 Billion Dollar lens yesterday , you are going to wake up the next morning and buy another one ??? All fueled by a bunch of psychotic marketing agencies...

14. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

'ericphelps'
    Thank you for answering the questions.
    I think the phraseology of my comments irritated you: that certainly was NOT intended.

So ... in precis:
    1. anticipated any complaint to Adorama wouldn't produce any change.
    2. complained here (guessing, but seems implied) to alert others of this practice and also to vent a bit - it seems that you were annoyed.
    3. (guessing but seems implied) you'll avoid buying from Adorama, because of this upset.

If the above is in the ballpark of correct, then, knowing point three is a bit of an assumption, I think that point three is actually a silly course of action.

You've mentioned that dumped their cookies and emails: so it seems that you've nuked the cause of your irritatation and any future irritations if you have an on line look at Adorama's offers.

Prima facie,
    point 3 seems like a case of cutting off the nose to spite the face. For example, sometime in the future Adorama might have a ripper deal that just suits your needs . . . if it were a no go zone, based on this upset, which seems 'fixed' at your end, I think that would be not a 'grown up' choice at all.

WW

BTW I think this sentence has a typo in it. I think that the word 'don't' should not be there?
    If that is a typo, then I can correct it for you.

"I'm wasn't fishing for an apology WW, I'm actually very grown up, and know that the best course is to simply avoid companies that don't do business in that manner."

15. Yes WW of course the tone of your first response was irritating, this one is simply tedious.

16. The expression "Beg the question" means to give an answer before a question is posed, a solution without a problem. It does not mean, as in newscaster parlance, to demand an answer.

AJG, andylynn and samstevens like this.
  17. My God.
    The hardships of Life.
    I’m beginning to think the younger generation is right about the Boomers.
    Spoiled rotten.

Nick D. likes this.
  18. What I've found from previous complaints I've received is that you may have signed up your email address to receive these emails in the past. Due to the advancing techology in these marketing emails, once you visit the website and it recognizes your email, through cookies (like if you're signed in to Chrome) then you may receive a marketing email if you have not opted to stop receiving these. If you want to be removed from the email list, I can send a request to our IT team on your behalf. You can send me a direct email to nancym@adorama.com

Nick D. and mikemorrell like this.
  19. Thank you Nancy.

20. If you're still receiving emails please let me know and I can request for you to be manually removed from our email list. You can email me directly at nancym@adorama.com

mikemorrell likes this.