Adorama.com... is this a reliable store

Hello everyone.... I found some used D80 bodies offered on Adorama.com website that was selling for a really good

price of $519 for excellent condition rating and $544 for a Demo condition rating. Is Adorama.com a reliable site to

purchase the used camera body? and is this a good price?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adorama is reliable, yes, I think they give you 2 weeks to check it out and return if you're not happy on Used and you get a 90 day warranty I believe if something is wrong? My purchases have all been new from Adorama and BHPhoto, nothing used, but since since they're good for new, should be for used too -- others can comment on Used experience.

Yes, I have experience in used, meaning selling to Adorama and my experience was not too good. After I shipped to them for evaluation a used camera body and several used lenses, all in very good condition, they offered me ridiculously low prices. When I declined their offer they conveniently "lost" 2 of the more popular lenses in the process of returning the products to me and as compensation offered me, you guessed it, the low prices they had initially offered. It took several phone calls to have them agree on more reasonable prices for those "lost" lenses. I will never again deal with Adorama.

Kevin,

I have done a lot with Adorama, and my experience with them is good. They respond with your purchase quickly and no hassle when you want to return if you are not satisfied. However, my most purchases are new items so I have a limited experience with used items. I know BHPhoto.com (another good resource for online trade) has new D80 with sale price of $570. Paying a little more, you can have a brand new one. I would do this way.

Wenhan

I have purchased used photo gear from Adorama on several occasions, with full satisfaction. But those were eBay purchases, with photos of the actual item available to view. Apparently the experience with "sight unseen" used purchases can vary, judging from comments I have read here and elsewhere.

I would not hesitate to purchase a "DEMO" condition item from them. I would be more cautious with any item rated less than EX+, as they are not as conservative with their used equipment ratings as KEH. Nevertheless, Adorama is reliable and trustworthy, and I see no reason they would not honor their return policy. Just be aware that you will be on the hook for shipping costs (both ways I think) if you return a used item.

SELLING to ANY retailer (be it Adorama, KEH.com, B&H) is bound to be a less than satisfactory experience from the outset, as none of them can offer anywhere close to full resale value for your equipment, regardless of condition.

Michael wrote: "SELLING to ANY retailer (be it Adorama, KEH.com, B&H) is bound to be a less than satisfactory experience from the outset, as none of them can offer anywhere close to full resale value for your equipment, regardless of condition."

I'm not talking about or expecting full resale value when I offer my equipment to Adorama. I expect a reasonable offer with plenty of profit margin for them when they resell at THEIR going rate for the same used equipment as presented on their website. It wasn't even close! And THEN they somehow, conveniently "loose" the two most asked for zoom lenses. And THEN they offer me to pay the ridiculously low prices they quoted me in the first place. And THEN it takes MANY phone calls to get them to agree on more reasonable prices. And THEN they send me a check for an amount a couple of dollars lower than they agreed on. That's a SCAM OPERATION in my book.

Kevin

Frans and Peter have both raised very valid points regarding the Used Department at Adorama; there certainly were

problems as noted by Frans, which we believe have since been resolved (in any organization, it can only take one

less competent employee to give the entire business a bad name, and we are no exception).

In addition, I am now in post to resolve issues such as those noted quickly and effectively. You can contact me

directly regarding any kind of query or problem concerning an order or purchase from Adorama:

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com.

Our Used Equipment carries a 90 day Warranty, and our rating guide is as follows:

N = New, Comes complete as packed by manufacturer with warranty except where noted.

D = Demonstration condition almost like new, might show very light use.

E+ = Excellent, Very clean.

E = Excellent Shows normal wear, might have minor scratches, glass clean.

E - = Excellent, Average wear, may have small marks but no brassing.

V = Very Good, Shows heavier wear, works mechanically fine.

G = Good, Shows extra heavy use wear, glass might have scratches, usable.

F = Fair, Beaten up, sold as is!

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Helen wrote: "in any organization, it can only take one less competent employee to give the entire business a bad name"

Several people were involved in what I only can characterize as a scam: the initial contact person and several people in management. And no, it was never fully resolved as I still didn't get the extra money owed to me.

My experience with Adorama buying new and used equipment, and also selling them used cameras. Recently I sold them my old Canon

T90 and some FD lenses. They gave me a reasonable amount for them and I buyed a demo Nikon D300 and a second hand 17-55 mm

f/2.8 in mint condition at a very good price. Jack Gold and Efraim Nussbaum were very helpful. I certainly recommend Adorama.

Frans

I see we are going to be conducting this discussion in public...... If you give me your email address, we should nevertheless be able to track this information and what took place.

Thank you

Helen Oster

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Landrum

If you have a problem with a purchase from Adorama - whether used or new, please contact me directly with either your order number or your email address, and I can try to put things right. helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster

I have used Adorama almost exclusively for the 15 years or so that I've been buying and selling new and used equipment. I have bought, sold, received and returned all manner of equipment and materials from Adorama and overall, my level of satisfaction could easily be rated 9 out of 10; and no one ever rates a 10 in my book. I once purchased an expensive used lens (Nikon 105 f2 DC) and the lens was in much better condition than described (rated E and received an easy EX+), the transaction was smooth, it was quickly and respectfully executed and this is typical of my experience with this retailer.

I think Helen's persistent willingness to right the wrong that Frans feels like he experienced is indicative of the way Adorama strives to keep everything they do above board, on the level and in keeping with the best practices you could expect from ANY retail business. I would fully endorse Adorama here, and anywhere else and to anyone else who asked me. I have never been disappointed and I think Frans should recognize, and quit being so hard headed about the fact that the Adorama representative who is so kindly willing to help him straighten out his troubles is really the way they do business. Thank you Helen!

And...KEH is also a good and reliable source for used equipment. There. I'm done now.

" I think Frans should recognize, and quit being so hard headed about the fact that the Adorama representative who is so kindly willing to help him straighten out his troubles is really the way they do business"

That's not my experience and hence my comments here. When I'm treated like an easy scam target, and that's what it was, a scam, I speak up.

Okay, I'll bite. You're paranoid Frans. Scam? You might, of you look hard enough, find a little 'scam' camera

shop somewhere on Broadway, but Adorama? Scam? Those don't go together. You are, indeed, entitled to your

opinion, but to think an organization as well established and recognized as Adorama Camera as needing to stoop

to 'scamming' people is a bit over the top, don't you think? Get a grip. They made a mistake and are

willing to work with you to correct it. Your bad experience with the so said lenses has, likely, as much to with

your attitude than some employee's (probably unintentional) mistake at the said retailer.