I need an alternative to lightroom. I frequently work in remote locations like Saguaro Desert and Joshua Tree and have no internet connection. Lightroom will not allow me to import photos unless I have an active internet connection. It does not give me a 30 day grace. I have a Windows 10 Pro computer on a Alienware laptop. I pay for the Photographer package, I have for years but I don't get the 30 day grace with no internet. If I can not use the program everytime I need it regardless if I have internet, Adobe Lightroom and PS are worthless to me. So now I need to find an alternative to Adobe and use something else unless Adobe fixes this. Adobe 10.1 release Build 202012012023

Apparently others have had this issue. I tried to log into the Adobe community for help, but the exact same username and password I use for my Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and the Creative Cloud Desktop will not allow me to get past the login to post this problem.

I pay for a legit subcription. I am tired of it. Maybe easier to find a good alternative than to get Adobe to fix this issue. It's been going on for some time with previous versions.

Cheers, Mark

I use Lightroom Classic, which resides solely on a particular computer rather than the mew cloud-based version. This means I have two Lightroom libraries, one at home and one on a laptop. This gives me a means to view photos and do some manipulation. I don't see a way to copy any changes to my home system, nor do I care. While on the road, I back up my images to a portable 4 TB drive. If I have enough memory cards, I leave the images there as well, for safety.

The classic LR on my laptop needs only occasional connection to the internet. If you have the Photographer package, you can install any version of Photoshop and Lightroom you wish.

• Like 2

I suspect that it may be a question of 'am I generally happy using Lightroom except when I'm off-line?' or "do I really want to switch to a non-Adobe photo management eco-system?" I have no idea how well non-Adobe apps interface with Photoshop or how well they import Lightroom catalogs. If you're generally happy with Lightroom/Photoshop solutions, then maybe you can find 'workaround solutions' for when you're offline for longer periods. Talk to Adobe support.

If not, just google 'Lightroom alternatives'.

It's also worth considering how you want to use Lightroom offline. I use Lightroom for three different purposes:

- as a photo management = cataloging/selection/deletion tool (catalogs, ratings, labels, color coding, etc.)

- as a go-to non-destructive photo editing tool (for 95% of my adjustments)

- as an easy bridge to Photoshop and various plug-in filters, which create duplicate (TIFF) files, leaving the original RAW files untouched

For cataloguing (as far as I know) Lightroom doesn't import Adobe Bridge 'ratings' but maybe there are other Bridge (or other cataloging apps) -> Lightroom meta-data fields that are transferable that you could later use in Lightroom.

A second criterium is how important 'non-destructive editing' is to you. I'm sure that there are other 'non-destructive edit' solutions. But - as yet, and though I've not been actively looking - I've not found a better one than Lightroom. My opinion - from 2 years ago - was that it was easier to find a good alternative for Photoshop than for Lightroom.

• Like 1

Apparently others have had this issue. I tried to log into the Adobe community for help, but the exact same username and password I use for my Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and the Creative Cloud Desktop will not allow me to get past the login to post this problem.

This sounds like a problem with your subscription. LR Classic should not require an active login to do anything at all. It just connects periodically, I think every 30 days, to verify the subscription. I'm guessing that something went awry with your subscription more than 30 days ago.

• Like 1

Indeed, the OP should be able to go at least 30 days if not longer without net access. Something else is going on; try logging in and out again before travel, give Adobe a call. This shouldn't be an issue.
  • Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Most customer service lines are very slow during the pandemic. Twitter is usually much, much quicker.

Twitter can't help if it's a subscription issue.

I suppose a fall-back would be to cancel your subscription and start a new one. To play it safe, you could de-authorize your current computers by signing out of LR and PS, although if your subscription is dead already, this may not matter. Don't remove the software. Just start a new account and then authorize your software by signing in with the new account.

You obviously have never used twitter. Customer service (of all companies) can help with every thing associated with an account without divulging sensitive information. They might even suggest what an Adobe nobody like you might suggest. At least their suggestions would be from the horse’s mouth rather than some speculative BS.

Nice.

What I meant was that twitter can't help if someone needs to fix his account.

So at least with Lightroom, if you log out, or your subscription ends, the Develop module (all modules but Maps and Develop) operate as they did under subscription. On location, one could import all their images and do some quick edits without any need for activation until return.
  • Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I use LR on an iPad and can import photos without an internet connection. Photos are synced once a connection is available. Maybe a tablet would be a better option when you are working away from an internet connection.

The tablet is a thought, but transfering photos Jpegs to my Android Tablet from my 5D MK IV or A7R3 is brutal and RAW is going to happen. My Tablet has a 128 gig SD Card. But it is a thought. Thanks.

Cheers, Mark

If you can't log in, perhaps issues with your account are causing your problems with Lightroom. You should not have to have an Internet connection all the time.

I have no problem logging in when I am online. I can even get lightroom to open. It is when I go to import new raw and jpeg photos into the lightroom catalog if there is no internet connection.

When there is no active internet connection and I choose to import images from my download folder, lightroom just sits there acting stupid, I get the Lightroom is not responding error at the top of the window, and I can wait 30 minutes, it will not repond, and there is no message as to why. But if I set up a hot spot on my Android phone (If/when it is possible) as soon as I connect to the hot spot, Lightroom magically starts importing images. It is like Adobe will not tell me why, as if they are saying we think you know why, but I am using a legit version paid subscription to the Photography plan.

This is frustrating.

Cheers, Mark

OnOne Photo RAW might fit your needs. There are lots of videos showing its use. I have it but use it as a plug-in rather than stand-alone because I continue to use LR as my catalogue; however, you don't need to do that.

I will check this out, thanks.

Cheers, Mark

I would like to thank everyone for the responses and sorry for my delay getting back on here, I have been in a remote location and on New Years Eve day I just flew back to Philly from Palm Springs California. Long day. I have highspeed internet here at home, so I am getting several days of photos into Lightroom.

Yes I love the program when it works, the work flow is great, it allows smooth use of exterenal photo editors. I have gotten quite good at Lightroom and Photoshop. It just is frustrating dealing with it not fuctioning when I am travelling and camping in the RV.

Even when I can get cellphone coverage, the data plans are expensive and limited before I get throttled so I try to get by with not turning on the hot spot of USB tethering.

But it would be nice to at least work on my photos for 30 days without turning on the Cellphone data for the PC.

My Account is good, I can log in and update programs , change paswords...they bill me monthly...but strangely I can not log into their forums.

18637529-orig.jpg

I know other people can do it. So is it because I am using Windows 10 Professional with an Intel 9 core processor and have Hyper-V manager installed (I am not running any virtual computers with Lightroom.) The Hyper-V is for network engineers stuff and should not be a concern.

I do have a legit version of Lightroom 5, but the catalogs are not compatible plus many of the features are not there.

I suppose I really don't want to switch to another program unless there is something with great work flow and feature for editing. I wish Adobe would address this. I did Tweet a link to this thread to Adobe, since I can't seem to post a question in their forums.

Cheers, Mark

Twitter can't help if it's a subscription issue.

I suppose a fall-back would be to cancel your subscription and start a new one. To play it safe, you could de-authorize your current computers by signing out of LR and PS, although if your subscription is dead already, this may not matter. Don't remove the software. Just start a new account and then authorize your software by signing in with the new account.

Subscription isn't dead, but something is screwy. I can list my active devices, 2 computers and a tablet. Looks right.

Cheers, Mark

Subscription isn't dead, but something is screwy.

Indeed. The fact that you can't use the forums is another indication of that.

However, a quick search online suggested another thing to try. How are you trying to start Lightroom while disconnected? I just tested my computer and confirmed what I found online. I can access Lightroom fine while disconnected, but I can't access the Adobe Creative Cloud app. I get an error message saying that some features aren't available. However, when I execute lightroom directly without using the Creative Cloud app, it loads just fine. So if you deleted the Lightroom classic shortcut the installation created, just use the start menu or create a shortcut from the lightroom executable.

Indeed. The fact that you can't use the forums is another indication of that.

However, a quick search online suggested another thing to try. How are you trying to start Lightroom while disconnected? I just tested my computer and confirmed what I found online. I can access Lightroom fine while disconnected, but I can't access the Adobe Creative Cloud app. I get an error message saying that some features aren't available. However, when I execute lightroom directly without using the Creative Cloud app, it loads just fine. So if you deleted the Lightroom classic shortcut the installation created, just use the start menu or create a shortcut from the lightroom executable.

Interesting thought. I will try that.

Cheers, Mark