Adobe Camera Raw Avaiable in Photoshop 7?

<p>I am going to do some tutoring to a relatively new photographer. She has Photoshop 7 and I want to work with her shooting RAW with her Canon 50D. Did Photoshop 7 have a RAW converter? Is it possible to update that ACR in PS 7 to a newer ACR version that would have the raw-conversion capabilities for her 50D?<br>

Thanks. Kurt Kramer</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Photoshop CS3 and older won't support raw files from the Canon 50D.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It will once they are converted to DNG. The converter is free. <br>

Photoshop 7 <strong>did</strong> support Adobe Camera Raw. That was the first version released. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>DNG Converter is a free utility program from Adobe. It is continually updated to use the latest version of ACR, and the consequent DNG files can be used by Photoshop 7 (possibly earlier, up to the latest version). DNG files are RAW files, and can be re-converted in a lossless process just like the original RAW files. The only thing that might vary is the metadata recorded with the original file, including some camera settings. There's nothing there you can't do in Photoshop, but you might have to scratch your head a bit to duplicate in-camera JPEG conversions.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone. Andrew, if Photoshop 7 did support ACR, couldn't we go to the Adobe site and update it to a newer version that would enable us to convert her Canon 50 D files? And Karl, that's a really good question to ask and get clarification.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Andrew, if Photoshop 7 did support ACR, couldn't we go to the Adobe site and update it to a newer version that would enable us to convert her Canon 50 D files?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hope. Photoshop 7’s ACR at least initially was a $99 purchase (after it was free in Photoshop). But the bigger issue is older versions of ACR only run in the host version of Photoshop it initially shipped with. The current version is 6.1. It only runs with CS5. The way to support new cameras with older versions is convert to DNG (which is probably something you’d want to do anyway. See http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200709_adobedng.pdf )</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Not sure converting to DNG is best answer. A photoshop 7 raw processor is NOT going to be very good compared to anything on the market now. In fact, in some ways, the new CS5 RAW processor is so much better than even CS4 in some things.</p>

<p>DNG also prevents the file from being used with some of the other software out there, unless you incorporate the original RAW file which doubles the size needed to store the image. Not sure DPP can use it and I know that DxO doesn't (don't think they added it in newest version). Anyway, for most practical purposes, DNG limits you to just ACR. If this person really has PS7, then I would use the most current DPP processor as it is really her best, and cheapest, option.</p>

<p>The current camera raw plug-ins are incompatible with earlier versions of Photoshop. From Adobe:</p>

<p>"The Camera Raw 5.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 7.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 7.0"</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if Photoshop 7 did support ACR, couldn't we go to the Adobe site and update it to a newer version that would enable us to convert her Canon 50 D files?</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>If this person really has PS7, then I would use the most current DPP processor as it is really her best, and cheapest, option.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well aware of the other options mentioned, that was my opinion. And add easiest for a Canon shooter just getting introduced to Raw.</p>