Adobe Bridge/CS6 vs Lightroom

Bridge is little more than File Explorer or Finder, with previews. I have not used Bridge in years, preferring a native (or enhanced) general file manager. Photoshop and Lightroom, on the other hand, are an indispensable combination. My general procedure is as follows:

• Using a file manager (e.g., Finder), copy RAW images from a memory card to a named directory on a RAID
  • Using Lightroom, import images from this directory, at the original location
  • Do the basic sorting, editing and corrections in Lightroom. Export the results to sub-directories under the original
  • Use Photoshop to handle more precise tasks, such as cropping and sharpening. (Lightroom does most, but Photoshop does it better, if slower).
  • When convenient, backup the entire folder to Blu-Ray discs for safe-keeping.

Most of the things I shoot never make it to Photoshop. Lightroom does it all, or nearly so. It serves as a data base manager for images, although it is not scalable nor truly collaborative. Most corrections can be done, completely non-destructive, in Lightroom, then rendered to other formats for use and distribution.

As we speak, I am copying images taken at a shoot last night into the computer. I will import them into Lightroom, and select images for further processing and distribution to the customer. I mostly use the expanded view, and thumb through the images in the bottom "film strip" display, flagging the keepers. I will then fine tune the keepers (color, cropping, etc) and export the results to JPG, and deliver them via Dropbox. It was a relatively small shoot, 220 images or so. If that were film (6 rolls), I would be scanning, editing and adjusting until Wednesday (now Sunday).

• Like 1