Adjustable/Switchable 120-220 Filmbacks...Why so few?

marc_batters

<p>Looking at the various film backs for the RZ67, I am puzzled as to why only the 6X6 back had dual film ability?</p>

<p>Why didn't Mamiya, (and others) make all, or [more] of their interchangeable film backs with dual 120-220 capabilities, ie...6X4.5, 6X7, etc...?</p>

<p>Is there an issue with pressure plates not maintaining proper adjustment in dual film backs? I have never read anything to suggest this, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with adjustable TLR's. I also understand the premise, (part science, part marketing) behind the 220 vacuum backs, as these backs were not effective when used with the paper backed 120 film. Do most people believe that 220 film does stay flatter across the film plane?<br>

I would like to believe that making separate 120, or 220 dedicated backs, wasn't just another way for camera companies to squeeze more money from camera owners.</p>

<p>This is a question I have pondered for years, and was wondering if others out there may have an answer. I am not in the market for a 6X6 back, (as I don't use a slide projector). However, I have wondered, why, if they were able to produce a dual back in one frame size, why not in other sizes.</p>

<p>I know that in these declining days of film, (and the nose-dive days of emulsions available in 220), that this is a mute point in the world we live in now. Just curious!<br>

On a side note, anyone care to guess how much longer 220 will last?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I love 220 film in both my Mamiya 7II and my Hasselblads. But it is going away quickly and I would not care to speculate how much longer it will be around. Not long, for sure. I just saw that B&H discontinued 160VC in 220-I dont know if that was because Kodak discontinued making it or they just could not sell it. I use about 100 rolls a year, so that is not enough to keep them in the business of making 220. Moot point about the 120/220 backs I guess since it is likely we will be in a position of being thankful just to have 120.</p>

<p>Marc,<br>

some medium format cameras, which have 120/220 switchable options, can show the occasional problem with 220 film. One that comes to mind is the Pentacon Six, where I have seen several reports in the past about such problems. The 6x6 cm backs for the Mamiya RZ67 have never given me any trouble, regardless of the film used. My Fuji GA645Zi also likes 120 film more.<br>

Christoph</p>

<p>Christoph,<br /> Just to side-rail my own OP a bit, (since you mention your Fuji camera).<br>

Fuji could possibly have good reason to produce 220 film, for a longer period of time, in support of their wide panorama format cameras. But on the other hand, wide "Pano" is probably too small of a niche market to impact the decision, because maybe their "Pano's" like 120 better too.</p>

<p>The motorized film winder for the RB67 has 120/220 capability with a flip of the pressure plate.<br>

Even if you don't want the battery driven wind on, you can take them out and turn it with the knob. It's a bit larger than a std back, but a two-in-one deal.<br>

Jim</p>