Adirondacks in late September

guoming_shou2

I'm planning a trip to Adirondacks late September. I need suggestions

on locations to scout. I have totally 4 days plus one night.

I'm also thinking what kind of camera to bring. Technika IV, or

Technikardan 45? Is the area relatively windy? Is weather normally

clear?

And any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

I personally love the high peaks area that lies between St. Huberts through Keene Valley and Keene and extends to Lake Placid. There are some outstanding views from the roads but the best vantages are from the tops of the mountains themselves. They can be reached by hiking trails, from easy walks to arduous multi-day trips might be needed depending on destination. The summit of Whiteface Mt. is drivable and has a terrific "aerial"-type view. Guidebooks are a must. Peak foliage varies by year but usually last week of Septemeber, I would say, is best bet in the higher (over 2000' terrain). Try Heart Lake (Adirondack Mt. Club) as one spot with easy to reach summit (Mt. Jo) with great views.

This may be a relatively dry year in that region, however these are mountains that influence weather and so one must always be prepared for rain. Clouds and rain are more the norm in mountains than clear weather.

As far as camera is concerned, that is a personal decision. Would only recommend the lighter the better if you intend to hike. Windy at times on mountaintops. Enjoy!

I was photographing in the Adirondacks last weekend. I live 20 minutes south of the park...

Places to go-

Tongue mountain on Lake George. Now if you're heading north on I-87 get off at exit 24. Right at stop sign, continue until the blinking light at the 9N intersection. Left at light. Now you'll be driving for about five to ten minutes (depending on who you'll get stuck behind) before you see the Tongue mountain trailhead. You'll know it's the one I'm talking about b/c there will be a pond just after it(like 200 ft) at the edge of the parking area.

OK, here's a secret. From the parking area, cross the street and walk south until you can make your first right into a trail. The trail isn't too obvious, but you'll see a fallen tree that has been cut to allow use of the trail. Go in and continue to go south on the trail when it splits. You'll find the stream that you passed on the way to the parking area. (You can still see the road from here) Walk west up the stream, and in not too long a time you'll come to a waterfall. The whole area is great to photograph in, but mind you, you'll have to have a Weston eye as opposed to an Adams eye.

Now don't bring your camera when you walk there. If you like it, go back and get it. If you really like it, go get your camera and walk up the main trailhead just south on the same side of 9N that you parked. You'll cross a bridge, and not long after the trail will split. Stay left. Go up a little more until it get's steeper than the grade you've been hiking. Just as soon as you notice the change in grade (you'll all of the sudden be breathing heavily) you'll see some of the botton of fallen trees. Keep your eyes peeled b/c right soon after there will be an extension trail off to the right. Take it 20 ft to a much more dramatic area than the one across 9N. This whole hike takes me 10-15 minutes.

Keep in mind the Adirondacks aren't the Sierras. I hope you're not looking for "grand vistas".

If all this hiking doesn't suit you, continue driving north on 9N until you see the scenic overlook pulloff. Nice view of Lake George.

Also, there is the Ausable Chasm off exit 35 of I87. They have a website, put it doesn't by any means do the "grand canyon of the east" justice. Definately worth taking a look at if you'll be that far north.

Any more questions, just ask.

If you are looking for color, then the High Peaks region as well as Tupper Lake and area will be in the 'near peak' stages of color. At least they should be...,

If you are looking for a really nice view - a classic view - go to the Adirondack Loj, just outside of Lk. Placid and climb Mt. Jo. It is an easy 1 mile climb to the top.

If you want to climb a little more, Cascade will reward you with tremendous views. It to is south east of Lk. Placid off Rt. 73.

You can drive to the top of Whiteface for great looks.

There is a great handbook on hiking the Adirondack Park region. For the High Peaks it is called High Peaks Region, Guide to Adirondack Trails 1. It is put out by The Adirondack Mountain Club. You can probably pick up a copy at www.adk.org - - you get an excellent topo map with marked trails.

The Lake George region is also very nice but you will be about 2-3 weeks early for peak color.

Thanks for your reply! I'll get a guide book as John and Brien suggested.

Joe, thanks for your detailed guide. Yes, I'm looking for scenes to make intimate style photos. So definately I'll visit the place you recommended. And I happened to have a bunch of Weston books (and of course Adams's)... will see whose eyes fit the scene the best. Actually I like Christopher Burnett's style best with small scenes/trees. But I'll use my own eyes (not really my own, I may haven't developed one yet).

I'm not looking for peak color, if by "peak color" you guy meant "all vivid red and yellow". I like to see some green as well to show some sign of life and to add some color contrast.

For hiking, my backpack plus tripod will be 30 pounds. With some rest I can climb 2 miles with moderate(~500 feet) elevation gain. If scene is beautiful, I think maybe I can do more.

I have two other questions not related to photography:

1. How's safety there? Wild animal and human being?

2. How full are hotels normally booked? I prefer to find a hotel after sunset so I can go anywhere I want during the day.

Thanks again.

In Bolton Landing (on Lake George) rent a boat and make the

trip to "the Narrows" a group of islands (some very small) about

a 10 minute ride from the docks. For an architectural shot, try the

Sagamore Hotel. Although it's been twenty years since I've been

there, it was a "grand dame" from the 30's.

If you are going to do the Lake George region, then look into hiking Black Mountain and Buck Mountain. Black is the slightly easier of the two. It's a 3 mile hike that takes about an hour and a half. Both mountains have great views.

Also, the Pharaoh Wilderness has lots of great trails and ponds to see and photograph. Treadway and Pharaoh Mountain are the two main peaks there. The Pharaoh Wilderness is located on the north end of Lake George and to the west. It sits snuggly between Schroon Lake and the town of Ticonderoga.

• 6 years later...