to bug everyone and do it again. I am purchashing a Nikon d200 w/kit lense 18-

70. My back-up camera will more than likely be a d70. What other lense would

be essential for weddings.

Yes i'd love to purchase the nikon 70-200/2.8 but the budget isn't allowing

for that right now. Do i need a wider lens for formals, will the 18-70 be

enough. I just know I need another lens to capture things. Around the $400-500

range or lower is what i can afford. What do you all recommend I buy as an

additional lense....thanks for your help--Kristina

If you can't afford pricey zooms and have two camera bodies, go with the AF 24mm 2.8D [converts to a 36mm field of view] and an AF 50mm 1.4D [converts to a 75mm field of view]. New cost at B+H is ~$515 for both. If it were me, I'd buy them in EX or EX+ condition from KEH in Atlanta and save a couple of hundred dollars.

Bonus; your back will love you - big glass is heavy, but small primes are ergonomically satisfying. The more comfortable the rig, the more you'll shoot.

Zooms are great, but consumer level zooms are iffy in terms of quality.

I'm reading "Digital Wedding Photography" by Glen Johnson. The author list his three

essential lenses for weddings: a mid-range zoom (28-70 or 17-55 in DX format), a

70-200 and an ultra-wide zoom (17-35 in FF, 12-24 DX) for dressing rooms. And throw

in a 50 1.4 for 'artsy', shallow DOF table shots, dress details.

That said, I've been building my kit: I've had the 70-200 VR for some time, but I added

the 17-55 2.8 DX last week. I have the 18-70 DX which I probably keep as light walk-

around lens for my D70. Finally, I plan to add either the Nikon or Tokina 12-24. All this

for my new D200.

So Kristina, if you like wide-angle/photojournalistic style wedding photography, you could

consider the Tokina 12-24, which has excellent MTF scores, reviews.

If not, you could add a Nikon 50 1.4 or Sigma 30 1.4 for low-light work.

The Nikon 18-70 is a bit slow w/ a variable aperture, but it sharp, and 28-105 is an

excellent range. It will be useful. If you can't afford the 17-55 right now, don't sweat it.

Tamron's 28-75 2.8 xrdi lens is a great lens for about $350. Search some reviews, it has gotten great reviews. It was my all around wedding (and most everything else) lense until I bought the nikor 17-55 2.8 dx. I did miss the wider angle, so that is why I bought it. The lense is FANTASTIC, but pricey. If I had your $400 budget, I would go with the Tamron.

I just got the D200 on Monday and I also got the Tamron 17-50 2.8 DI. Excellent lens for

about $400.

My favorite lens right now is my Tamron 90 2.8 DI Macro....what a great lens! Again about

$400-500 Might be a little slow for ceremony, but great for details and long candids.

Next lens will be the Tokina 12-24.

I think you'll need something faster than the 18-70 kit for the interior shots like a 50 1.8

or 85 1.8 or better. I've tried it before for inside shots and it wasn't nearly fast enough.

The 18-70 is a good enough lens. It has the range that will take care of you most of the day at a wedding. It does leave you lacking two things - speed and length.

You will need something that is fast enough for low light without flash. I think the 35 f2 is better than the 50 f1.8 for this purpose.

You will need something long for the time you get stuck in the back of the church for the ceremony, or you want to shoot unnoticed.

The 180 f2.8 is a good alternative to the 70-200 f2.8. It is light, sharp, and downright cheap on the used market. Too bad it is not a VR lens.