Adapting Exakta lens to Minolta SRT

<p>Tony's recent post got me thinking about Exakta lenses. I looked through some 1950's issues of Popular Photography and looked through some of the old Exakta ads. I know Minolta once offered an Exakta to SR/SRT adapter which of course would require stopping the lens down to shooting aperture for metering and taking the picture. Not a problem since I often adapt M42 lenses to use on my Minolta gear. What I'm asking if anyone here has had experience with Exakta lenses on Minolta bodies. Even post some pictures if you got 'em. In particular I'm interested in the close focusing 35mm Exakta wide angle. <br>

KEH had such an adapter in stock the last time I looked, btw.</p>

<p>Back in the 70's I remember using Exakta and Topcon glass (same mount) on both Canon (think it was an FTb?) and a SRT 101 with these adapters. As I recall both Canon & Minolta made these themselves, they weren't aftermarket.<br /> Some of the Angenieux branded , Exakta lenses fit a little tight, but overall these worked fine. Both had infinity focus etc. I love many of the older JENA marked lenses, including the pre-sets. Your idea is a good one to use later bodies on older glass. Keeping these lenses in use will reward you greatly too.</p>

<p>Since the only Minolta product I have is a Maxxum 7000, I can't answer to your question of Exakta lenses on Minolta bodies specifically, but I do have a large collection of Exakta lenses (and bodies) and have used the lenses from time to time on Canon EOS bodies.<br>

They work fine, although you do need to watch out for the lenses with the side-mounted "automatic" aperture lever, since that can foul some camera projections. The old pre-set Exakta lenses are as easy to use as any others.</p>

<p>However, it is my understanding that the Minolta lenses are quite good, and they certainly don't seem to be any more expensive than Exakta lenses. In addition, there are relatively few Exakta lenses that are not also available in an M42x1 mount.<br>

So. Why worry about Exakta mount?</p>

<p>There were Exakta to Konica AR and Exakta to Konica F mount adpaters. There was also an Exakta to Canon (FL/FD) made by Canon. I have al of these as well as, somewhere, an Exakta to Minolta SR adapter. There were some very interesting lenses made in Exakta mount. When I looked for the 35/3.5 Noflexar and 30/3.5 Meyer Lydith lenses I would have bought them in Exakta mount but found them instead in M42 mount. I got the most use out of my Exakta to Konica AR adapter when using a 105/4 Noflexar bellows lens in Topcon mount. I had not auto diaphragm function but the lens is very good and I enjoy using it. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Okay, lens I was interested isn't Exakta brand but Exakta mount Steinheil Auto Quinaron 35mm f2.8 that close focuses to about 4 inches. Maybe I can find it in M42 mount?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mike, why do you want that particular lens? I ask because there are better macro lenses in Minolta MC/MD mount, just none that short. In my work with macro lenses (55, 105 and 200 MicroNikkors, all AIS or earlier) on Nikons I found the 55s' working distance somewhat limiting. I've watched other people try to use 35 mm lenses engraved "macro," their working distance seems to be even more limiting.</p>

<p>I've had one Steinheil macro lens in Exakta mount, the 135/2.8 Auto Macro Tele Quinon (or was it a Quinaron? I can never remember), used it with adapters on my little Nikkormat. For a while it was the only macro lens available that was usefully longer than 55 mm and had auto diaphragm, but it really wasn't that good. I replaced it with a 105/4 MicroNikkor just about as soon as the 105/4 came to market and didn't miss the 135 at all.</p>

<p>Note, I'm not pitching Nikkors. Macro lenses from all of the major 35 mm SLR manufacturers and from the major aftermarket brands are all quite usable. Steinheil's macro lenses were good for their time, but newer macro lenses are better.</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>Yes it's great fun to adapt lenses to other systems. I happen to like my 50mm f2.8 tessar and made an adapter from a t-mount adapter , I had to mill the adapter down and keep checking for infinity focus. It now sits on my Minolta srt body. Why you might be saying? That's the trouble with being retired!</p><div>00cX2Z-547381884.thumb.jpg.e95af02ccfec9079659bf043a06f7248.jpg</div>