Adapter to mount Nikon F mount lenses on Sony A6000

There are plenty of options available: Guide to Nikon Lens Adapters for Sony E-Mount Cameras. I suggest that you get one that provides aperture control (however rudimentary) with G lenses, should you need to adapt any of those. By rudimentary aperture control I mean that you can stop down a little, a little more, more, ...; the steps are not anywhere near a full stop each, but more or less arbitrary. A bit surprising because G lenses are Ai-S and aperture control thus is inherently linear.

I have this one: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon Nikkor F Mount G-Type D/SLR Lens to Sony Alpha E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Body with Selectable Clicked / Declicked Aperture Control but there's a newer version out: Fotodiox DLX Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon Nikkor F Mount G-Type D/SLR Lens to Sony Alpha E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Body.

When adapting M-mount lenses to my Sony E-mount cameras, I went through a few cheap options first and they all had their shortcomings (sharp lens release buttons, weak locking pins, rough mounting, or not allowing some lenses to mount at all (poor tolerances). I ended up spending a lot more on a Voigtlander adapter, where I can be reasonably certain that care has been taken to keep the two mounting planes reasonably parallel. You might want to read this article about adapters by Roger Cicala from lensrentals.com: There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters

For good compatibility, the adapter should have a means to control the aperture, manually, for lenses without an aperture ring. Electronic coupling, other than for auto focus, probably won't help much with Nikon lenses.

Complaints registered for various adapters center on how tight or loose the fit is between adapter and body, and adapter and lens. I bought the Novoflex adapter, which had high ratings for fit and finish. The surfaces must be parallel to a high degree of accuracy to get good focus throughout the field of view. I would have confidence in the Voigtlander adapter, and with some reservations, the Fotodiox. I have Fotodiox extension tubes for the E-mount. They are plastic with metal mounts, but the fit is good. (The tubes have electronic coupling for native E-mount lenses.) The Novoflex is all metal, and has outstanding anti-reflection features on the inside (knife edges and dead black coating).

• Like 1

Well I don't need the aperture control either as all the Nikkors I have but one has aperture ring. I can't expect AF to work as all the lenses are screw driver type. So I would try to find one just for mounting but of course must have good alignment.

I try to save money but don't know which features really cost the money. This is some new thing to me and I don't want to be like the people who ask if they make the camera without video would it be less expensive.

By keeping a cheap adapter fitted to each of the six Nikkor lenses I use with my A7 I hope to make poor tolerances and durability less of a problem.

That technique places the bulk of the wear on the camera mount. If you use Nikon (Canon, etc) lenses, it is probably better to leave the adapter on the camera and change the lens. You could also afford a better adapter.

The expensive part is design, materials, and precision.

• 4 weeks later...
When, or how does initially spending more keep one from spending more? How much better are the materials and tolerances of Novoflex verses the others? I don't know, but there is a point that by fiddling with a lessor product that could, cause damage to your camera, Cause damage to your lens. I've heard of some reviews on lens adapters that describe mismatch tolerances requiring excess force to be used to get lenses on and off. So much so to create metallic particles to be worn off of surfaces. Where are we at with this? Is there a real happy medium product? Metabones has the happy medium price, but more research on my part to be done. I'm very curious on this as I have Nikkor AIS lenses that could see the marriage to the XT-2.

if one has a great lens, why be a cheapskate when it comes to the adapter. I point no fingers. I have tried a Fotodiox and a Vello brand and a Metabones. The Metabones was far far superior in fit and feel. Maybe I just appreciate good materials and machine work having done some back in high school. Anyway, a hundred bucks is only the cost of six medium pizzas with not special toppings at the CPK. Add a tip and the adapter is a real good deal. Only way to know is to try. Tolerances are not visible to the amateur eye on a sales photo. We go ape over sharpness of a lens, and forget all the other parts. Makes little sense. The adapter becomes part of the lens.
  • Like 1