Adapter rings for an older Ring Flash

scott_ditzel1

I bought a used Sunpak auto DX 12-R ring flash. I got a PDF manual but I'm in need of an adapter ring so as it will fit my macro lens with a 52mm filter thread. I know it has been years since these were made and the only ring I can find is for a 77 mm filter thread. Can I use that with a step down ring to adapt it? Are there any other rings that may work? I have an email out to Tocad (who marketed these units and they sent me the PDF manual) but no response just yet...

Just for background:

Here is a site that explains the step-up/down business:

AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.

The measurements for the rings always go from the CAMERA (lens filter size) to the filter size:

Adapter rings are labeled from the camera to the filter.

For example, a 25.5mm to 46mm step up ring is used for a camera (or lens) with 25.5mm threads. The adapter will allow a 46mm filter (or other adapter ring) to fit.

Adapter rings can be stacked. To use a 49mm filter on a 25.5mm camera lens, first use a 25.5mm to 46mm step up ring and then a 46mm to 49mm step up ring.

The measurements for the rings always go from the CAMERA (lens filter size) to the filter size:

Adapter rings are labeled from the camera to the filter.

That's fine as long as what you need actually exists!

I wanted to reverse some enlarger lenses onto a Leica-fit bellows, but it appears that Leica users just don't reverse their lenses onto a bellows or camera. Because could I find a 39mm LTM lens-reverser in any size..... nope! Such things just don't exist. Not even in the vast virtual universe of the Internet.

In the end I discovered that a 43mm filter fitted into the recess of a two-part T-mount. Voila! Remove the glass from a cheap 43mm UV filter and screw it into a 39mm Zenit-fit T-mount and the job was (nearly) done. Most enlarging lenses use a 40.5mm filter thread; so the addition of a 43mm to 40.5 step-down ring was needed. Or 40.5mm to 43mm step up, if you prefer!

It just makes things easier and clearer if the threads are referred to as M(ale) and F(emale). But maybe that doesn't sit well with Snowflake gender-neutralists?

BTW and FWIW. My older copy of the OED defines 'gender' as solely relating to words and grammar. No mention of a multiplicity of them, and certainly not in relation to people and their sexual preferences.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 2 weeks later...