Adapter FT-Z lens Compatibility Table

mike_halliwell

If you pop over to here..

Nikon Mount Adapter FTZ

At the bottom, you get directed to here...

DSLR Camera Lens Comparison | Nikon

You can find which lenses you can mount onto your new Z6 or Z7 via the FT-Z

Apparently your 500mm f4 VR G, 600mm f4 VR G etc etc won't.:mad:

However, there's a secondary table beneath called Archived lenses for DSLR Cameras that list a few more lenses such as the 2 labelled above.

Does this mean the main list is a list of lenses technically still in production and the second is older lenses that are compatible?

Either way my 600mm AFS MK II 'isn't' compatable........:(

Is this not the list they meant you to find, ie a misdirection?

Importantly, does 'Not Compatible' mean the camera comes up with the 'This lens Cannot be Used' as the previous Nikon mirrorless camera, the I Series does, if you try and mount, say, the Nikon 200-500mm ASF VR. and locks you out. It's got a firmware list of Wont Use lenses that I'd love to delete.

Edited by mike_halliwell

I suspect they mostly list lenses still in production or available new and while old lenses may be compatible they are not in a hurry to list them (because there is no money to be gained for Nikon). Sorry to be so cynical about it. I think the real compatiblity/incompatibility list will take more time to compile.
  • Like 1

That list only includes current lenses with current prices. For example the 200-400mm/f4 VR II is there, but the earlier VR (one) is not. Those two are almost identical with different coating and VR version. There is no reason the old one isn’t compatible. Nikon also points out that AF-I lenses are compatible, but none is listed.

Essentially all F mount lenses since AI should be compatible, but you only have AF with AF-I, AF-S and AF-P lenses. Not sure how it works with pre-AI and the two F3-AF lenses. There is no AI follower tab so that for lenses without chip, there maybe no metering.

Since there is no tab, pre-Ai and Ai lenses should work similarly.

Dpreview write "There's no AI lever on the adapter, though, so anything from before the mid 1980s will mount but will have increasing restrictions over which metering modes are available.

As in previous high-end Nikons, it's possible to record a list of non-CPU (AI and Pre-AI lenses) through the menus, so that the camera understands the focal length and maximum aperture of the attached lens. You can assign this function to one of the camera's buttons if you're regularly switching between lenses."

I remember seeing a table suggesting that with Ai lenses the A and M metering modes are available, but I can't find it now. I hope I'm not mistaken.

Previously Nikon didn't allow metering on Ai lenses if there was no aperture readout lever on the camera, but now this policy seems to have changed. Perhaps the metering is stopped down.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

Now I understand the reasoning: In DSLRs without Ai readout lever, there was no option to meter with Ai lenses because Nikon felt stop down metering is less accurate. But DSLRs use a separate metering sensor which doesn't get exactly the same light as the main image forming sensor. In mirrorless cameras, metering is by the same sensor that forms the final image so there is no discrepancy using stop down metering; in fact it should be more accurate than wide open metering (if the image is not taken wide open). So, finally Nikon can allow stopped down metering without including the tricky mechanical system that reads the position of the Ai tab. This is excellent news.

According to Ken Rockwell (OK so it may or may not be true and how would he knows) that it would allow metering by measuring the light at the moment when the lens stopped down just before the exposure. But that only works for A mode and the camera can't tell you before hand which shutter speed it will need.

Stop down metering is something Nikon has been avoid doing since the F5 due to that technique doesn't work with their matrix algorithm.

So, at best it's an incomplete list, at worst it's just a list of current lenses with absolutely nothing to do with FT-Z adapter lens compatibility what-so-ever...:(

This is the right answer. It's just a list of all current and some older lenses for DSLRs. The URL of the link makes that clear.

Just wait a while for the products to be available and we can quickly test what types of lenses have limitations if Nikon haven't published a list. I suspect a complete list will be found in the product manuals.

A complete list of compatible Nikkor F-mount lenses will probably be fairly close to a complete list of all F-mount lenses ever made, since 1959. That is going to be very long. It is probably a lot easier to list the exceptions.

For example, those old 1960's super wide/fisheye that have rear elements protrude into the mirrorbox and require true mirror lock up could suddenly become compatible with the FTZ because where the mirror used to be is now hollow space, although most of us may not be interested in using such old optics on new mirrorless.

Thom Hogan has a new article on this topic. It is a good read if you are interested in the FTZ adapter:

Nikon F-Mount Adapter | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

BTW, Nikon product images of the front and back sides of the FTZ adapter. There are full electronic connections but the only mechanical coupling on the F side is the lever that closes down the aperture diaphragm.

ftz.jpg.2cdc92b97f9aa5bb2194e6fe54ccad7d.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung

The bayonet on the adapter has another mechanical thing, a pin that senses if the lens aperture ring is set to minimum aperture or not. Presumably the aperture on non-E lenses is always set using the lever controlled by the camera body and the aperture ring on the lens cannot be used.

The bayonet on the adapter has another mechanical thing, a pin that senses if the lens aperture ring is set to minimum aperture or not. Presumably the aperture on non-E lenses is always set using the lever controlled by the camera body and the aperture ring on the lens cannot be used.

Good point. That is the mechanical detector at about the 8 o’clock position on the F mount side. The only Nikon body I have with that detector is the D100, as everything else I have has the aperture follower tab. That detector is for AI-P (with built-in CPU) and AF lenses (including some AF-S) that have an aperture ring; i.e. AF lenses that are not G, E and P. It checks whether the aperture ring is set to the minimum. If not, the camera would show the fEE error (unless you specify on the body that you prefer to use the ring to control the aperture).

Among current Nikon DSLRs, the D3000 and D5000 series plus the D7500 have that detector at 8 o’clock. All FX DSLRs have the aperture follower tab and don’t have that detector.

Edited by ShunCheung

• 2 weeks later...
The thing that bothers me is no support for D series lenses, only g series. That will be the hurtle for a lot of Nikon users. We do not all use g lenses.

It seems possible that a 3rd party such as Tamron could design and market an adapter that supports screw-drive lenses. It would translate the electronic autofocus signals into motor movements. It would be ungodly expensive, and possibly need its own battery.

It seems possible that a 3rd party such as Tamron could design and market an adapter that supports screw-drive lenses. It would translate the electronic autofocus signals into motor movements. It would be ungodly expensive, and possibly need its own battery.

It can get power from the mount, but the AF motor could be bulky. And I wonder how good AF accuracy and speed will be.

It is much simplier to stick with AF-S lenses.

The thing that bothers me is no support for D series lenses, only g series. That will be the hurtle for a lot of Nikon users. We do not all use g lenses.

I'm assuming Manuel mistyped, but just to be clear, non-G electronic lenses (with an aperture ring) will work just fine on the adaptor if you set them to minimum aperture and control the aperture from the camera - that's what the EE switch is for. The 300mm f/4 AF-S non-G is on the list, for example.

What won't work is autofocus for lenses which require an in-body motor (you can still focus them manually). Essentially the same compatibility as most of the D3x00 and D5x00 ranges and some older two-digit bodies.

There aren't so many "current" AF-D lenses. The 200mm f/4 macro, but many would be happy to focus a macro manually anyway. The two DC lenses, but their autofocus is a bit iffy anyway, and arguably the 105 has been "replaced" by the f/1.4. The 50mm f/1.8 AF-D is still appreciably cheaper and smaller than the AF-S version. Mostly I suspect Nikon would just like you to buy newer glass. (Apparently from Sigma, if you want a long macro or fast 135mm.) Not much comfort if you have a lot of AF-D lenses or are for some reason trying to maintain compatibility with the Fx01, F60 and F55 bodies (which autofocus with AF-D but not AF-S).

The only bodies that don't work with non-G lenses at all are the D3400 and D3500, which lack the EE post switch to detect the aperture ring position.

The FT-Z has the level of compatibility that I'd been advocating that Nikon put in a cut-down D6x0 variant to save cost and weight. Whether it's what I'd put in an adaptor specifically designed to offer more compatibility is another matter.

One can indeed argue that the 105/2 DC has been replaced with the 105/1,4 but the size and price have been substantially "upgraded" as well. Same for 180/2.8 vs. 200/2. Although Nikon have a very good f/1.8 prime range from 20mm to 85mm, they have not made any compact AF-S tele primes between the 85mm and 300/4 PF. In my opinion this is a major issue. Perhaps they will make some native ones eventually for the Z, though the roadmap shows none.

The lack of AF motor in the adapter is understandable as this type of a solution would not give good AF performance on a mirrorless camera anyway. Mirrorless AF requires precise control and there is some play in the mechanicam transfer of torque from the body to the lens. So, use these older lenses on SLRs and more modern AF solutions with SLR or mirrorless.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

True, Ilkka (though there have been 200/2 lenses for a while, so I don't think it "replaced" the 180 f/2.8). I guess Nikon would argue for the 70-200 lenses in this range, though Sigma will sell you a 180 f/2.8 macro. With the arguable exception of the 70-200 f/4, there's certainly no current "compact" option like the f/1.8 smaller primes. Maybe the 300 and 500 PF lenses indicate Nikon will work their way back down the focal lengths with smaller glass?

Contrast detect AF needs the ability to step back and forth; I'm not sure that's true of phase detect on sensor. Is there a reason that shouldn't work with screwdriver focus?

I'm currently finding I'm fighting my D850's AF - it has an annoying habit of locking on things adjacent to the AF point, not under it. I don't think it's just front- or back-focussing. I need to experiment, but I'm beginning to think I need to talk to Nikon about it.

I'm currently finding I'm fighting my D850's AF - it has an annoying habit of locking on things adjacent to the AF point, not under it. I don't think it's just front- or back-focussing. I need to experiment, but I'm beginning to think I need to talk to Nikon about it.

That is annoying. Good thing the camera is under warranty.

That is annoying. Good thing the camera is under warranty.

It might be a nut loose behind the viewfinder. I'm usually in 3D tracking, and I'm suspicious that the invisible "helper" points are interfering. I'll try true one point AF before I start blaming Nikon (though it'll mean I can't let the subject move in the frame).

It might be a nut loose behind the viewfinder. I'm usually in 3D tracking, and I'm suspicious that the invisible "helper" points are interfering. I'll try true one point AF before I start blaming Nikon (though it'll mean I can't let the subject move in the frame).

Trade it in for the Z7! You need to help Nikon.

In 3D tracking the viewfinder can only show one of the 55 visible AF points in 3D tracking, not the "in-between" points (though I suppose it could be programmed to use those small "dots"). In practice the 3D tracking seems to use those in-between points a lot and is far more accurate than I could have imagined. In fact I find that for approaching people subjects, 3D tracking seems to give the best results with unstabilized f/1.4 lenses. This is despite the fact that often the viewfinder shows a point outside of the face (when the box switches quickly between two squares, the system is probably actually using the in-between point. With VR lenses things work nicely also with single or 9 point.