adapter for FD lens on EoS-M bodies use internal glass

Hi

sorry by mi ignorance!

can anyone confirm if the these adpator dont use internal glass (similar to FD to EOS DSLR adaptor)

I have a lot o good FD lens that I still use in my canon F1 (film) camera. Know I want to purchase a mirrorless digital camera.

By My budget only can purchace a sony alpha 6000 or a Canon EOS-M 5. I have confirmed that adaptor for FD to sony alpha bodies dont use internal glass, but I am not sure if for canon EOS-M use internal optical element or not. Only I am concerned in the fact that these models dont include a optical viewfinder.

I will use this camera in mountaineering landscapes ... any another suggestion that allow me to use my canon FD lens and with a optical viewfinder is welcome

Tks a lot

dario

I do not believe that adapters from FD to either mirrorless camera system has or needs any glass since the flange distance (distance from the lens mount flange to the sensor/film plane) for these mirrorless cameras are much shorter than for the FD system.

Helpful chart: Flange focal distance - Wikipedia

I don't believe that any currently viable DSLR system has a flange distance that is shorter than the FD system, so I don't think there is a practical optical VF digital camera that can use FD lenses (unless surgery is performed on the FD lenses which would render them useless for use on FD cameras).

I would want an adapter that would allow the lens to stop down to taking aperture (or open up to full aperture) by turning a knob on the adapter. After 40 years of using SLRs and DSLRs, I have switched to an electronic VF without much issue.

I see no reason why a Canon FD lens can not be designed to fit the mounts you are referring to. But whether they now exist is another story. I am judging that you may need to think of another digital camera for your FD lenses. There are fortunately plenty out there. I myself have used the micro four thirds models with FD lenses. Another good brand are the Fuji models. Both have a wide range of offerings and do offer models with eye level finders--and at affordable prices. No you do not need tubes with glass. But those are offered for some benefits, and the bennies are an option at higher cost.. I suggest look at and call or write the Metabones people. I do like their adapters. It will set you back a hundred dollars but they fit the FD mount snugly and with brass and chrome mounts. Check out here: Metabones® Want a good cheap used digital. Look for a Panasonic GX 7...a winner for about four bills in 9+ shape at KEH. Link did not click but just Google Metabones company. Also B and H under FD mount to various digital cameras and then pick the one you like.... Edited by GerrySiegel

I have a Sony a6000, and have an adaptor which connects FD lenses to it (I found it on Amazon). It has no glass, and is just basically a piece of metal tubing with an FD flange at one end, a Sony e at the other. Both focussing and aperture have to be set manually, the camera will set the correct exposure.

• 2 weeks later...

As with the Sony a6xxx cameras the EOS M system will take FD lenses without the need for an adapter with glass.

I use FD lenses on my M system cameras with a Fotodiox adapter.

The same is not true of using FD lenses on EOS DSLR cameras however.

But either the M5/6 etc., or Sony NEX cameras would work for you.

JD