Acratech clamp detent pin compatibility w/ other plates?

ken_yee

Do other camera

plates support this

detent pin to

prevent the camera

from sliding out if

the clamp is

slightly loose?

I'm particularly

wondering if the RRS

plate has the right

cutouts for this

detent pin but has

anyone tried other

plates w/ the

Acratech clamp?

forgive my ignorance, but isn't the acratech clamp made to the arca swiss standard? and... aren't all arca swiss compatible systems (arca/kirk/rrs/acratech etc) compatible with each other?

'and... aren't all arca swiss compatible systems (arca/kirk/rrs/acratech etc) compatible with each other?"

Unfortunately no, many of them seem to have slightly different widths and bevel angles. this is why the lever type clamp actions are a dumb idea unless all of your plates are made to the same standard. I even have multiple vintages of Kirk plates which don't quite match each other.

But that isn't relevant to Mr. Yee's question.

Hello Ken,

The chances are that the Acratech clamp detent pin is only compatible with Acratech plates. I use an Acratech GV2

which I bought without a clamp so that I could install a RRS B2 LR II lever clamp to use with Wimberley plates. The

RRS B2-Pro screw clamp can also be used and is cheaper than the lever clamp. Note that to ensure a secure clamp-

up, RRS do not recommend using plates other than RRS or Wimberley with their lever release clamps. The

Wimberley C-10 screw clamp would also fit the Acratech and of course would be fully compatible with any Arca-

Swiss type plate. Hope this helps.

Thorir:

As mentioned, they don't all fit, particularly if you use the lever clamps. Also, if you compare the different clamps' "safety slip" features, you'll see that they take different approaches...Acratech uses a detent pin, Wimberly uses a slot, Markins uses a slot/pin, RRS uses a slot, etc.

With the screw clamp, most plates fit, but the "safety slip" features don't necessarily work.

Some plates like the Markins and Kirk aren't specific to the camera so the screw that holds the plate to the body is in a slot and slides around.

The Acratech and RRS plates are make specifically for your camera body so there's no movement when installed. The RRS one seems to be built slightly better. Acratech also makes plates that fit multiple cameras and these do have the screw in a sliding slot.

John:

I suspect the detent pin won't work properly as well. I asked RRS and they said ask Acratech. Acratech says they only test w/ their plates and don't recommend anyone else's because the detent pin might not work. :-P

Maybe I should phrase this another way: which arca-swiss-style plate do people prefer? And have you tried them w/ other clamps with detent pins?

The Acratech site mentions this:

"Camera specific, Arca Swiss compatible quick release plates have long been regarded by professional photographers as the best method of attaching a camera or lens to a tripod head. The only problem with this system is that if the clamping knob is accidentally bumped and partially loosened the plate and its attached camera can slide out. This rarely actually happens but, the thought of it bothers many users and would be users of this system.

At Acratech we have developed a spring-loaded detent pin that projects into the pockets or windows that are cut into the bottom of most manufactures (Acratech, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, etc.) quick release plates. Our detent pin will prevent the plate from accidentally sliding out in the event that the knob is partially loosened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

When using this system quick release plates must be inserted and removed by opening the clamp and inserting or removing the plates from the top.

Older style plates like the original Arca Swiss that do not have pockets or windows on the bottom can still be used with this system but the detent pin will not be very effective."

This might mean doing a physical comparison although looking at the different source's pictures may help. Since it's spring loaded and the Acratech clamp is a screw type, it seems that if there isn't a slot in the plate, the pin is pushed in, if there's a slot, it will likely work unless one end of the plate is open, etc.

"which arca-swiss-style plate do people prefer?"

I would definitely recommend the Wimberley P-5 body plate and their P-20 or P-30 lens plate depending on the size of the lens. The P-5 has a textured rubber surface which prevents camera twist and can be used on any camera body, I have one on each of mine. The lens plates have tabs which bear against the lens collar foot. Safety stops project from the base of the plates and prevent the camera or lens from sliding out of the clamp. They are fully compatible with Wimberley or RRS clamps. All in all I think it is a solid reliable system.

" ... a textured rubber surface which prevents camera twist ... " This sounds like a very bad idea re vibration damping of the

camera/lens/tripod combo. One needs a solid connection in order to drive the vibrations (shutter, mirror ..) off to the ground,

not a soggy piece of rubber ... Sorry, Mechanics 101.

Even the RRS plate's retaining screw grabs onto the Acratech's clamp properly.

I'm a happy camper. This is much better than my old pan/tilt head. Now I'm thinking about getting the Acratech leveling base as well :-)