ACR workflow for outdoor portraits

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by vale_surfer, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hi,
    I recently shot a few outdoor portraits of a friend with a Canon 5D Mark II and the 50 mm f1.8 II.
    What's a good workflow in Adobe camera raw for such portraits? I used a reflector on a few pics and fill in flash for the others. There are shadows on the face on a few - is the adjustment brush a good tool to use to make the face appear brighter?
    Thanks.

2. Hard to tell without seeing the pictures, but based on what you said I'd play with the Shadows (increase) and the Clarity (decrease) settings at the minimum.

3. you could use a dodge/burn layer (blank layer filled w/ 50% gray in SoftLight or other contrasty mode) or a screen layer w/ black mask brushing in white as needed. Lots of different ways to attack the problem.

4. Another way to make faces brighter is to increase either or both of the red and orange sliders in the luminance panel.

5. The "exposure," "recovery," and "fill light" sliders in ACR are often enough by themselves.
    Otherwise there are always what seems like a dozen different ways to get anywhere in Photoshop. Adjustment layers, pseudo-HDR layers, etc. Everybody I know seems to have worked out their own preferred methods and then stick with them, sometimes too long.