Acquired some old macro gear - screw mount tubes?

guy_deckard

<p>I've just acquired some gear. The macro gear in particular is interesting to me, as I've been looking to take some bug and nature macros. I've already got a 100mm f/4 macro and a 50mm extension tube for 1:1 that I plan to use for that. I would kind of like to do more extreme magnification (2-10x) too, just for kicks, but I have no specific plans there.<br>

<br />So, on to the gear. You can see all the photos in imgur: http://imgur.com/a/OETx4</p>

<p>First up, a set of <strong>Canon screw-mount extension tubes</strong>, 100mm, 150mm, and 200mm. They appear to be part of the set described here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/macro/macro.htm and pictured here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/macro/photomacro.htm. To use them would require a Lens Converter A and Lens Converter B, about $75 each on ebay.<br>

How do I determine the magnification they provide? How would one light a subject at the end of such long tubes? <br>

I'm inclined to sell this kit, and buy an auto-bellows in the future if I really want to do extreme macro / microphotography.</p>

<p>Next up, a <strong>Canon Macro Coupler FL</strong> & <strong>Macro Hood</strong>. I already have the 50mm f1.4 breech lock lens this goes with. What magnification would one get from reversing the old breech lock 50mm? With a 50mm extension? <br>

Given that I already have a 100mm f4 macro & extension, I don't know what this would add to my gear. I'm inclined to sell it along with the 50mm f1.4.</p>

<p>On the imgur link, you'll also see a few other items. There's a Kodak spiral-bound datasheet for a bunch of 80s-era film, a set of film data sheet cards, a polycontrast filter computer, and a set of spotting colors. I'm inclined to recycle this stuff, but if there's anything useful here or any data that should be preserved, do let me know and I'll scan first. I am relying on the internet to help me figure out what is junk.</p>

<p> </p><div>00eFfq-566624584.jpg.c8d522d927fb4a0c07128f930edaa7ff.jpg</div>

<p>You can buy simple, non-automatic tubes and bellows for FD mount or other for much less than the adapter prices.You don't say what you are trying to adapt them to.<br>

I presume the Canon "screw-mount" is 39mm (Leica)? <br>

I think these might be of interest to some collector of Canon miscellany, but not cost effective for actual use.</p>

<p>Long ago I had a bunch of these tubes along with the A and B converters. Yes, it is the Leica thread. I also got rid of them a long time ago as my bellows was much easier to use. About the only use I had for the converts was that - along with another adapter - I was able to use my Canon lenses on my "C" mount 16mm movie camera. (which I did only a couple of times)<br>

If you are going to use these with an older F1, you're going to find metering an issue unless you have the booster finder.</p>

<p>Canon made a couple of high magnification macro photo lenses, a 35mm and a 20mm. See them here:<br>

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/series_search.html?t=lens&s=sp</p>

<p>These lenses have 39mm threads, and given that they are macro photo lenses, those extension tubes are probably meant for use with them, as well as the aforementioned converters.</p>

<p>The 20mm and 35mm macro photo lenses are <strong>NOT</strong> 39mm threads. They are designed to screw into a special lens plate that is an FL mount. They are primarily intended for use on a bellows.<br>

If you really insist. these lenses can be used with the tubes, but not directly. If you want to use them that way you will still need the A & B converters.<br>

The tubes are really a hold-over from Canon's rangefinder days.</p>

<p>Roger. Those converters are available on eBay for about $75 each. <br>

<br />Based on various calculators and reading I've done over the last few weeks, I think the magnification would be as follows when paired with a 50mm Canon FD macro:</p>

<ol>

<li>The bellows can go up to 175mm, which combined with my extension tubes would add up to about 250mm. That would yield 5.5x magnification, and I'd have to open up around 5.5 stops to compensate for light loss.</li>

<li>The tubes, however, would be 450mm when stacked. This would yield 9.5x magnification, at a cost of about 7 stops.</li>

</ol>

<p>Since I haven't done much macro, I'm not sure what these magnifications are good for. That's the next thing I'll start reading about.</p>

<p> </p>