Accidental beach scene

For me, this is one of those happy accidents, a throwaway shot, first of the day, taken without much real thought. I've done nothing to it, other than a very slight rotation, otherwise it's straight out of the camera....

The cloudless sky is sucking too much energy out of the image. I'd suggest a 2:1 or 5:2 crop to get rid of most of it. The story here still seems pretty mundane to me. The lighthouse is the strongest element, but it's too small relative to the overall image. You might have waited for the stroller to walk further out, to put her and the lighthouse in the same, tightly cropped 5:4 aspect ration, accomplished either with a longer zoom or with a crop. Even then, it's still a simple, but common story: tide's out, beach is flat, people are sparse and there's a lighthouse. There's nothing wrong with that story, particularly if you putting it in a vanity photo-book about a trip, for instance, but the original image doesn't really tell me a story. Technicals are good, but that's not enough.

You seem very happy with it. Why? (I'm not trying to diss you, but trying to understand why you'd call this a "happy accident.")

• Like 1

The cloudless sky is sucking too much energy out of the image. I'd suggest a 2:1 or 5:2 crop to get rid of most of it. The story here still seems pretty mundane to me. The lighthouse is the strongest element, but it's too small relative to the overall image. You might have waited for the stroller to walk further out, to put her and the lighthouse in the same, tightly cropped 5:4 aspect ration, accomplished either with a longer zoom or with a crop. Even then, it's still a simple, but common story: tide's out, beach is flat, people are sparse and there's a lighthouse. There's nothing wrong with that story, particularly if you putting it in a vanity photo-book about a trip, for instance, but the original image doesn't really tell me a story. Technicals are good, but that's not enough.

You seem very happy with it. Why? (I'm not trying to diss you, but trying to understand why you'd call this a "happy accident.")

Thanks.

I'm trying to work out why myself, that's partly why I posted it here.

Firstly, I think, because it was an unplanned shot, literally just checking that everything was working before taking the photos I'd planned.

Secondly, as you mentioned, vanity photo book material, it was a trip, a good day.

Thirdly, and I think this is why I keep coming back to it, the little details that I keep noticing.

But I think mostly because I wasn't expecting anything much, I didn't even remember taking it.

Cropped:

DSCF3551_02.thumb.jpg.9bd20e4b8954c223a68b16ecffd05765.jpg

• Like 2

Much better for the crop for the reasons David gave, you could also lose some from the left. You mentioned at the start that you had rotated it, not sure which way you when but the horizon and the lighthouse vertical are off.

But with all photographic aim to please number one (unless you are expecting payment).

• Like 1

This is one of those times when I can make a case for some clone stamp sleight of hand:

486344157_Steveatthebeach-dwt01.thumb.jpg.749d17d608b88b51eeb10d9007cf548a.jpg

The very consistent and soft beach sand background makes moving the walker slightly quite easy and effective, which allows both Steve's crop and rotation adjustments, while preserving the woman's feet, which, I believe, makes a big difference in the character of the image. This is a quick and dirty effort, but it could be done seamlessly. And I, too, can't seem to hold a camera plumb and level either.

• Like 2

I Like David's treatment of the crop, the photo now seems more balanced, zeroing in on the interesting elements: woman, beach, lighthouse/etc, eliminating excess. The lighthouse seems pretty well centered and, projecting strictly my own take, the woman seems headed almost directly towards it. The cloning or post work of the image to include the woman's feet works really well, as she is a key element in the shot. Nit picking a little, there's a black bag pr something right at the left edge of the. image on the beach. I'd probably squeak the crop just a wee bit more to eliminate that black speck of an object.

I travel often also, many of my images from my travels likely mean far more to me than they might to anyone else- making it easy for me to relate to your having had a nice day on holiday, coming away with some images to remind you of it all.

• Like 1

I travel often also, many of my images from my travels likely mean far more to me than they might to anyone else- making it easy for me to relate to your having had a nice day on holiday, coming away with some images to remind you of it all.

So, to this point, I find that in my own travel photography, I put too much of my "experience" into judging my images. I've started making a point of looking at my work as if I didn't know the story and hadn't actually been there. What could make it stronger for someone that doesn't know the "story in my mind?"

• Like 1

Thank you, all.

I think DavidTriplett's edit, whilst I agree with it from both an aesthetic and ethical point of view (it doesn't actually change the photo in any meaningful way), is a little too far from my "try to do everything in camera" mindset for comfort. Don't get me wrong though, I can see the benefit.

I've found the discussion on snapshots and stories particularly valuable, it's something I need to think about more, particularly the idea of the "story". I've always differentiated between "snapshots" and "art", in my mind at least, but I find some of my most pleasing photos are taken when I'm not even thinking, just shooting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...