"access" message?

My daughter has a Sony Cybershot DSC-S60. When it is turned on, we get the

menu/screen for about 1-2 seconds, then the screen switches to black with the

word "access" on it. After a few more seconds, it will change to the

message "turn the power off and on again". After doing that, the entire

sequence of events will repeat. Once this happens, the camera will not do

anything, including extending or recessing the lens.

We have checked different batteries and memory sticks, and seem to have

eliminated those as the problem. The manual does not give anything regarding

this message. I am attempting to contact Sony. Can anyone give any

information regarding this error message or problem? Thanks.

It is apparently a lens problem. From the troubleshooting chapter of the <a href="http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCS60-90.pdf">manual</a>:

<blockquote><i>If the following messages appear, follow

the instructions.</i><blockquote>

<b>Turn the power off and on again</b>

<li> A problem with the lens has caused an

error.</li></blockquote></blockquote>followed by no instructions.

Helpful, huh? <p>I read somewhere that blowing dust-off around the joints between the telescoping sections of the lens may help. Otherwise it looks like a repair job. Was the camera dropped or anything?

My daughter says she has not dropped it. However, I know it rides around in her BIG purse without a case (I cannot get her to use the case--what a surprise there's a problem :-). I will get the canned air out and try blowing around the lens telescoping mechanism.

I did not check in the manual for the message of "turn off and on again". Thanks for suggesting that. I had only looked for an "access" message. That manual is absolutely not helpful, and getting in touch with Sony is about as difficult.

I'll let you know how that worked.

• 1 year later...

<p>

<p>I had the same "access" problem as everyone else - but here's the real way to permanently fix this problem when banging and smacking it barely works.<br>

1 - Remove battery and memory stick. Back up the mem stick if necessary or paranoid.<br>

2 - Using a small Phillips head screwdriver, remove all of the screws you see from the front (lens side), right and left sides of the camera. Then remove all three of the covers and place aside. <br>

3 - Clean and remove all dirt & dust in and around front of camera, paying special attention to areas close the lens and lens housing areas.<br>

4 - Insert battery and close the battery cover and then PLACE THE CAMERA RIGHT-SIDE UP ON A FLAT, NON-METALLIC SURFACE, MAKING SURE THAT YOU'RE NOT TOUCHING ANY OF THE EXPOSED CIRCUITS OR WIRING TO AVOID POTENTIAL SHOCK. This isn't a danger issue, more of a cover-my-ass related note. When I did this for my DSC-W55 I touched it just about everywhere without receiving generating anything close to a shock.<br>

5 - Press the power button. If lens does open fully and you're still receiving the "access" message, continue powering off and on while using a toothpick or compressed air to remove remaining dirt and dust particles.<br>

6 - When you're DSC-W55 is back in business - and after you've tested it multiple times via several on/off cycles, begin replacing the covers one at a time. The trick is to replace one cover, then to test the camera again via several on/off cycles. Do this until you've reattached all covers and camera is fully operational once again. <br>

Tip - you may find success early by varying the tightness of the screws for each side's cover as you move along the on/off cycle process.</p>

</p>