about a drumset

dama

how to set up lightings for drumset? I am preparing a shoot for a set of piano

black drums. It doesn't need to be perfect. I just want to make it look artistic

enough... The shooting is going to be in a small room with white walls and

off-white carpet. Plus what type of lens I should use?

Thank you in advance!

This is actually an advanced difficult photo shoot for the pro's. White VS black. Another major issue is the piano black is gonna reflect everything. So we need more information from you. What kind of camera and what kind of lighting set-up, meaning 1 flash on camera or several flashes with umbrellas?

The camera is going to be Rebel K2, with 55mm/1.8 lens. The room is rectangle shape, empty with a huge south window on one side(the long one). My plan is to black out partial of the window and use 1 or 2 umbrella, maybe built-in flash? The picture doesn't need to be slick like the magazine ads. I just want a presentable result.

You can either overexpose the white walls, or try to reduce the contrast between white and black by using as soft light as possible. Try bouncing the light off the walls and ceiling. Soft lights also help to reduce the brightness of any hotspots in metal parts of the drums.

Lens choice depends on what kind of perspective you want and how large the room is.

In what way do you want the shot to be artistic? Maybe you want to express your inner self with the shot. Or maybe you want to generate feelings in the viewer. Or perhaps you want to comment on our society in a witty way. After all, it is the job of a curator of a gallery to decide whether the shot is artistic enough.