"Abbie Hoffman," by Al Kaplan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoffman was a rabble rousing anti Viet Nam war activist and he was about to start a press conference here in Miami. I'm not sure which publication I was shooting for, but likely as not it was an "underground" (what would now be referred to as an "alternative")newspaper called The Dailey Planet. I was using my old double stroke M3 with a black 85mm f/2 Nikkor. Film was Ilford HP4 and probably rated at 400 in D-76 1:1. Obviously it was shot by available windowlight. Back then the TV guys were still all shooting film and tended to overlight everything with flat boring lighting so the best pictures were before they'd get set up. The print is on double weight Ilford Multigrade.

No need for an aplogy Al. Those were the days of flashbulbs and wet-cell strobes, it would've either been that shot or the typical newspaper flash-in-the-face. I've still got an Auto-660 Strobonar I bought in about 1969. It could give someone a mild sunburn from 5 ft ;>) BTW Abbie Hoffman was more than your garden-variety anti-war activist, he was a Yippie and one of the Chicago Seven. I believe he commited suicide in a hotel room several years ago.

While I can't speak for Abbie's activities 30+ years ago, I can certainly speak for his efforts in the 80's. At that time, he'd been living down the road from me in New Hope, PA - working on the Dump the Pump project (an environmental effort to save the Delaware - long story short). In Abbie you had a fellow who was very much involved in the community, particularly the local High School's involvement in something called the "Environmental Olympics." He truly was a good soul. Incidentally, he loaded up on barbituates and booze - his body was found in bed, at his home (a converted chicken coup) on Sugan Rd. At that point, in '89, his Dump the Pump efforts were unravelling and, well, you know, he was distraught.

Cheers and thanks for the photograph.

Jay, I figure half the people here would have no idea who Abbie was anyway, ancient history, but l suppose l should have supplied more details! Those weren't actually Abbies chicks either. The one next to me was named Jill, I last ran into her about 15 years ago, and I have no idea who the other girl was. That was the old 163rd St. Shopping Center that they're now completely rebuilding for the second time, this time into a Walmart! Fun times!

John, someplace in all those boxes IS Jerry Rubin! Have no fear! I have a whole bunch of "counter culture" and "black power" folks amongst the flower children and mainstream political types.

Jay, Councilman Scott Galvin is scanning some of my pix of himself, the mayor and rest of the council, along with some kids, for some newsletters he's putting together. I'll try to get some posted here too. I know how badly you want to see a city councilman performing his official duties wearing his Al Kaplan T-shirt.

al, i agree with eric. this is one of the best shots of abbie hoffman i ever remember seeing. he was also author of a book entitled "steal this book" which was fairly well known when it was published.

thanks for sharing.

For what its worth, I'd crop the photo to remove the mic, which Hoffman isn't relating to in this image, and whatever that thing is in the foreground. I'd leave the dark figure, which could represent Hoffman's demons or "The Man." I'd make lit side of Hoffman's face a bit lighter and I'd burn in the window, which is a little bright and distracting. (I only have PhotoDeluxe on the computer I'm on right now, so no dodging or burning in this suggested image).<div>008v3u-18868084.jpg.05228a916f68519b3cead4ef3d574443.jpg</div>

Thanks Grant. Avedon mostly did studio shots, a lot of large format stuff back then, often 8x10, all posed, carefully lit, make-up artist and hair stylist on the set, time was of no great concern, the whole nine yards. Apples and oranges. This was a get there, hope it would happen on time, get on to the next place, newspaper asignment. It must be really easy to sit there at your keyboard, pontificate, and pretend to be Wilson Hicks. (Wilson who? Look it up.)The best intelligent (mostly) put downs are by Jay. He might not always agree with someone but he knows what he's talking about. You're not even a close second...sorry.

I disagree with Grant. While I admire much of Avedon's work, his most famous photo of Hoffman comes across as staged and forced (I don't get the inclusion of the gun):

http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/legends9/bookpages_02.html

Hoffman was, at heart, a gritty street activist. He loses something in Avedon's studio that Al's photo captures. At least that's MHO.