Aaaah what a relief, NAS is gone, for the moment at least

michael_alger

<p>Got my 70-200 VR II today, took some pics of my son watching tv in the dark living room at 1/20 f/2.8. Amazing how calm my hand all of a sudden is... my first VR lens :-))<br>

Has anyone already figured out the exact difference between M/A mode and A/M mode? Me was not able to notice any diference yet.</p>

<p>You know what you need, Michael? You need the 85mm f/2.8D PC-E Micro Nikkor so that you can take well-focused close-up shots of your new 70-200/2.8. I just checked, and they're in stock.<br /><br />As for the M/A A/M issue ... it's pretty simple. Both modes allow you to have the camera handle AF for you, but still allow you to grab the focus ring and fine-tune what it's focus (a very nice feature of AF-S lenses). The problem is, with a big lens like the 70-200, that you might be handling the lens by the focus ring, and inadvertently override the camera's AF when you didn't mean to. The new switch setting just makes it less sensitive to those manual corrections, to avoid small errors.<br /><br />Enjoy that new beast!</p>

<p>Just a reminder, D700 successor might be coming soon this year, and hopefully we'll see some new developments in Nikon's lens offering as well.</p>

<p>In the mean time, have a look at EIZO websites to see some pretty monitors there. I personally like this one: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/sx2462w/index.html<br /> You might think you don't need monitors, but what's the point of having a nice lens without a nice monitor to look at all those pretty images?</p>

<p>Also if you have the time, you might also have a look at some Carl Zeiss lenses for a different flavour. I heard that the Zeiss 100mm f/2 and the 21mm f/2.8 Distagon are absolute gems.</p>

<p>All the best!</p>

<p>I've successfully resisted buying a D700 and the accompanying lenses. I was feeling almost smug in my self control, but this afternoon I placed an order for two of the new EinStein monolights. Now if I can just get control of my LAS (lighting acquistion syndrome) I could claim to be cured!<br>

Kent in SD<br>

PS--<br>

Going to get a TC-17E to go<br>

with new lens? :-)</p>

<p>I don't mean to be bad, but imagine looking at your pictures with that crispy high end monitor, it will be worth it I am sure. I am sure Michael will agree with me.</p>

<p>By the way he also mentioned that he took picture of his son watching TV in a dark room, he can also make use of something like Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ais for a more intimate, different kind of look compared to 70-200mm.</p>

<p>Looking at his son's pictures using a perfectly calibrated EIZO would be a very beautiful experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do people not print their pictures anymore? Eizo are just screens with a samsung panel.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I print pictures, but a big, sharp, high resolution, calibrated monitor makes the editing job easier and a good print more likely.<br>

Whether I'm photo-editing or doing software development, I want lots of screen real estate - more is always better. I'm currently looking for a monitor that's at least 1920x1200; I don't think larger than that is easy to come by, or affordable.</p>