AA batteries for Speedlights 2100 mAh vs. 2700 mAh

dan_k6

I currently use the Impact brand of NiMH AA's that B&H sells. They come with a

sleek cordless wall charger. The problem is they take forever to charge. I

would estimate minimum 4 hours. Also there are times when the batteries just

sit around because I am not using the flash and they gradually lose their charge.

I just checked out this company called MahaEnergy. They make some nifty

batteries and chargers. They have this brand of battery called IMEDION. It is

rated at only 2100 mAh though. The cool thing about this battery is that is

doesn't lose it's charge. They claim that it may lose 5% over the period of 1

year. This sounds great. I might pick a few pairs up as well as their 1 hour

charger.

My question is...Am I going to notice anything with 2100 mAh versus what I use

now at 2700 mAh? I certainly appreciate the convenience of these IMEDION's but

I don't want to sacrifice a considerable amount of power.

I've been using the Kodak 2500 mAh batteries bought at Walmart for $7.44. I have 9 SB flash units so battery cost and performance is important to me. Four hour recharge sounds a little long for a 2100 mAh battery. My Kodak 1-hour charger takes about 2.5 hours to charge the 2500 capacity. From what I've heard, you really don't want to be using the fast chargers because they shorten battery life. I've been very happy with the Kodak batteries, especially the cost. They've been flawless even sitting out in 25 below zero cold for two hours.

I'm no expert, but if the Imedions are NiMH batteries, why would they really be any better about keeping a charge? I doubt you'd notice anything different about a 2100, 2500, or 2700. Note that there is some varience how companies rate them anyway. I have looked at the MAHA batteries and decided for myself it's not worth a switch. The Kodak 2500 batteries I use have had enough stamina and have been 100% reliable so far. All the other brands I've looked at are NiMH and I just don't see how they'd be any better. As for chargers, I'm sticking with the mid-speed ones since I don't really need a fast one, and am afraid the really fast ones are hard on the batteries. I have 36 of the Kodak 2500, so that's a fair investment there.

I use the SB flash units to take photos of moving trains, at night. I live and travel in a very cold place so you can bet I put quite a bit of strain on my batteries.

Kent in SD

There's not enough difference between 2100 mAH and 2700 mAH to be concerned about. If the self-discharge rate is as low as claimed, you won't have to charge everything the night before.

While you're there, checkout the 8-bay Maha chargers. Each battery is charged individually. They're expensive but worth every penny. A regular charger stops when the first battery is done, leaving any low batteries partially charged. They charge in an hour - or two hours on "slow" charge. Those cheap wall warts take overnight.

Thanks Kent and Edward.

Edward, should I be concerned about the advertised self-discharge rate of the IMEDION's. There's nothing like having fresh batteries when you need them right away.

I am definitely going to pick up that 8 bay charger. I didn't know that conventional chargers stop after the first battery has been fully charged. That's scary.

I certainly don't charge my Kodak 2500 mAh batteries the day before, or even the week before. I know some hadn't been charged in a month, and yet they worked perfectly at 25 below zero. You'd think if there was a problem, it would have shown up then for sure!

Kent in SD

Most chargers handle batteries in pairs, but it's impossible to know which are which. Now that I have the Maha charger I find that at least some batteries tend to be significantly lower that the others. I had trouble with long recycle times, even using a Quantum Turbo. I no longer have a problem now that the batteries are equalized.

It's a good idea to top off all your batteries before a big job. Ordinary NiMH batteries lose at about 15% of their charge a week. In any event, the higher the retained charge, the less time it takes to top them off. It's better to be safe than to make excuses.

There are NiMH batteries available with a very low discharge rate. Sanyo's Eneloop is just one type, others who claim similar specifications are around as well. I don't know the full details, but I have the impression that the improved performance they offer - mainly the low self discharge rate - is obtained by using better raw materials than in ordinary NiMHs. They are more expensive than regular ones, the choice whether the improved performance is worth the higher price is yours.

Edward--

Thanks for the info. While I'm not yet sold on the low discharge batteries since I haven't had issues, I am sold on that 8-slot Maha recharger. With something like that it would be easy to keep my batteries up and running. I don't do any 8 hour marathons so just charging once a month would probably get me by. When they come out with higher capacity low discharge batteries I will likely spring for some. I've found that the higher mAh ratings seem to cope better with the below zero temps for me. That's not a factor for someone shooting weddings, of course.

Kent in SD

mAh ratings are usually done at a very low current draw meaning the batteries will only have the rated capacity when discharged very, very slow.

In a flash they are discharged rather fast. The only way to compare two different batterie types is to use them and see how much difference there is. For instance on a fully charged set count how many full pops you can get before the recycling time goes over whatever you can accept.

There is no way to know the outcome. The lower rated batteries may have more capacity then the higher ones or it may be the total opposite.

Peter

Will Crockett has tested a lot of different batteries/chargers and his recommendations can be

found here: http://www.shootsmarter.com/index.php?

option=com_content&task=view&id=162.

He favors batteries and chargers from Maha and Ansmann.

Shootsmarter readers can get a 5% discount from Thomas-Distributing by using this link: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/shootsmarter/index.htm