A12 back differences

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by mark_ng, Jun 12, 2010.

1. hey guys
    What are the differences between the different models of A12 backs through the years? I know the newer models have the slide holder, but are there any other differences? It appears compatibility is certainly not an issue.

2. I have a few A12 backs, two of which I use regularly and have replaced the light seal. The third one has screws which I can't remove so it will have to go out for service. Both of the backs I use regularly have non-matching inserts and frame spacing is fine in both backs. I haven't used a brand new back so as to compare film flatness. Newer mint condition backs cost too much money, used A12 backs are around $75 or less which isn't so bad. Seems like now is the time to enjoy these cameras that used to be way out of my price range just a decade or 15 years ago.

3. I have purchased all my A12 backs used. The differences seem small. My older ones have spool retaining arms that are separately hinged. I find that convenient. My newer ones have a sort of see-saw arrangement where neither end is hinged. It's all one piece, and you just lift one end at a time. It doesn't make much sense to me to have it that way, as it seems trickier; but it doesn't really make much difference either. For the backs I own, that's the only difference that stands out in my mind.
    I have bought a couple of under-$100 used backs. So far I have had to send two backs to David Odess to cure spacing problems. At least one of those was in the under-$100 category. I think it makes sense to try to buy backs in known good condition, even if they cost $175 instead of $75.00.

4. Thanks the for input. I can appreciate that it is better to spend more on a known working back, rather than chance it with a questionable one. I think KEH may be the way to go on this one. I have had bought from there before and they seem to have very honest ratings.
    Thanks for the links Brian, I wasn't aware that the matching of inserts with the case doesn't really matter all that much. It will definitely save me a couple bucks.

5. ...well that was up until I learned that the shipping is $40. Guess that's the premium one pays for fedex - which also means high customs charges. The postage and customs probably works out to cost as much as the back itself. Too bad they don't offer the cheaper USPS.