A Vivitar DF-283 Or 283-HV ?

rdm

<p>I Shoot digital with a Panasonic G1 and i am looking to get a flash for it. I have one Native lens, an M.Zuiko 14-42mm, and many adapted legacy lenses I use more often.<br>

I was looking for a good and especially Cheep Flash, with tilt swivel features to use with it. I am getting tired of holding a bounce card in-front of the popup flash for indoor shots and I am finding I wish i had more power for some of my shots.<br>

I have narrowed my search down to the two flashes mentioned because of the cost, but i am open to other suggestions in the same price range. I know the reputation of the 283-HV, and have used one in a lighting class I took last year. My lighting professor loves them and also kept telling us we should never spend much more than fifty dollars for a shoe mount strobe since we should always be doing things manually. I on the other hand thought it would be nice to have the TTL capabilities and slave functions that the DF offers.</p>

<p>Never heard of a 283-HV. I've heard of a 283, a 285, a 285-HV, and the DF-283.<br /> Of the above mentioned Vivitar choices, only the DF-283 has bounce/tilt, and swivel that you desire.<br>

You might also look into YongNuo flashes. They seem very economical, but I have no experience with the brand.</p>

<p>Dan, I'm guessing you mean a 285-HV. I think the 283 also could use a HV battery pack but not sure. The 285 is preferable because of the zoom head and the multi-level power settings but otherwise they are about the same. I have not tried the DF-283 but I have three of the 285-HV units and a 283 and can tell you they are hockey pucks. My newest one is almost 10 years old, and my older ones go back 25 years and they just keep working and working and working. They tilt but don't swivel, but that can be addressed with the proper bracket and isn't an issue once you get them off-camera anyhow. Not fancy but still the most flash for the money. They have a 25-year-plus track record as one of the most most popular flash units ever made.</p>