A Trail-Blazer from Olympus

<p>Introduced by Olympus in April 1960, the Auto Eye was the first Japanese camera to offer automatic exposure, powered by a selenium cell, giving rise to a whole breed of EE or Electric Eye cameras, that existed for only a few short years before CdS technology displaced the selenium cells. It's always amazed me that the tiny amount of power generated by a selenium cell could be amplified enough to enable mechanical changes in a camera, in the case of the Auto-Eye a shutter-preferred system whereby the user selects a shutter speed and the camera selects and operates the aperture. To reassure the user that such cutting-edge technology was actually working, the Auto Eye has a "Pre-VU" button that brings up a display of the selected aperture in the viewfinder, and a tiny window on the back with a pointer that indicates whether or not the light conditions are within the boundaries of the operating system. All very thoughtful, and nicely planned. By the use of the two-stage Comput-Matic shutter release the aperture is set, and then the shutter released, allowing re-framing of the subject if required. The camera also features a Flash-Matic system which enabled the user to dial in a distance, and the camera will calculate the exposure.</p><div>00d4V6-554125684.jpg.355cbecdc62ca6f753ea409de57aec3f.jpg</div>

<p>There's a nice contrasty split-image rangefinder spot, luminous framelines in the bright viewfinder, a quiet little Copal-SV shutter with speeds from 1 to 1/500 plus B, a well-placed film wind lever with about 45 degrees of throw, and a really sharp 45mm D. Zuiko f/2.8 lens, the D (of course) denoting a four-element construction. I can't find a formula for the lens, but rumour has it that it's a Tessar-type, 4 elements in 3 groups. It performed way beyond my expectations, with superb colour rendition.</p>

<p>Typical of ageing EE auto exposure systems, this example is erratic; sometimes I'd agreed with it's selection of aperture, but often I knew it just wasn't telling the truth. But all was not lost; the AE procedure can be bypassed by selecting the shutter speed required, holding down the Pre-VU button and dialing in the required aperture, (visible in the viewfinder), by rotating the prominent ISO setting lever around the lens. This is how most of the samples I'll attach were obtained, using Sunny 16 as a guide. I really enjoyed using the Auto-Eye, and I'm keeping a watching brief for the subsequent model, the Auto-Eye II. Film was Fuji Superia 200, scans from the Fuji Frontier; some of the images will be familiar, as the Auto Eye accompanied me on my early-morning B&W exercises with the Pentax 6x7, used in my earlier "Learning the Light" post.</p><div>00d4V9-554125884.jpg.8534afbca79b4c95ebb5ba23be290cc4.jpg</div>

<p>Most of the auto-exposure rangefinder cameras, at least until the era of things like the Yashica Electros, used a "needle trap" mechanism. The light-meter mechanism, be it selenium of CdS, just moved the needle. When you pushed the shutter button, the first thing that happened was that the needle pointer was "trapped" in position, clamped against moving. Then it's position was read in some mechanical way, either by a stepped trap (how far it closed depended on needle position), or some other "feeler". That mechanism then selected the exposure.<br>

This is why these cameras tend to have long travel on the shutter button, since the first part traps the needle, then sets exposure, and finally trips the shutter.</p>

<p>That "down under speak" isn't at all difficult :) Nice one Rick, and Olympus made so many interesting RF's that it is hard to know where to start. I have never seen the one that you have, although I do have an Electro Set and the wonderful 35S.<br>

Nicely composed shots as usual, with nice colour....love the kegs!<br>

I often wonder if folks around your way are used to you many ramblings with interesting cameras....do they ever comment? I get the odd..."oh I used to have one of those, no good now...no film anymore"</p>

<p>One thing I can say about Olympus is that they usually didn't skimp on the quality of their optics - which seems to be the case with their version of the Tessar on the Auto Eye.</p>

<p>The "trap needle" AE usually works well - but with the selenium meter, it may necessary to point the camera downward a bit when there is lot in the background to lock the exposure with a half press of the shutter button and then bring the camera back up to compose the shot. I say this because my selenium meters tend to read at wider angle than a CdS cell.</p>

<p>Lovely images. I hope its a good day down under for some "shrimp and chook on the barbie".</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

<p>Thanks for the responses! Yes, <strong>JDM</strong>, you got the "tucker" right; it's Australian slang for "food", also entrenched in New Zealand, but more in relation to stock and animal feeds. "Chook" is probably native to both sides of the Tasman, and is slang for domestic poultry. Unlike citizens of the USA who farm chickens, we keep "fowls" or "hens", which beget chickens. I suspect the word is derived from the clucking noise hens make; I can remember a great-aunt calling her free-range hens into their shed in the evening, rattling a pan of grain and calling 'Here, chook, chook, chook...!"</p>

<p><strong>Tony</strong>, I'm usually out and about before the madding crowds appear, but occasionally I get approached. I was baled up the other day by a geeky guy who knew absolutely everything in the whole world about Pentax 6x7s, and insisted on enlightening me... Thanks <strong>Andrew</strong> and <strong>John</strong> for the technical information, and I'm pleased you enjoyed the post, <strong>W.J.Gibson</strong> and<strong> Mike</strong>.</p>