The following post is a letter describing the process which I used in my current uploaded photographs, and the Arrhenphobia series which can be viewed as a presentation. I was not sure where to put this, alternative process or digital. I finally decided on alternative process, because the process itself is not in the digital darkroom. If the Mod feels that this is inapropriate, please note my disagreement and relocate. I also want to point out that I am not trying to replace polaroid! the results an process is similar, but not at all the same. ------------------- The reason that you did not find much is because I am only one of two people that i know of anyway that have any sizeable body of work. A NYC fashion photographer I knew named Jessica worked with a solvent based inkjet transfer, I used water. My process is paper specific, hers was not. Mine looks more like a polaroid, hers have a more "flaked" apperance. Both our processes were more successful than previous experimenters as the coating, or "emulsion" was lifted and transfered, and not the ink alone, so, more ink is transfered more accuratly and evenly, resulting in rich blacks, something most alcohol/turpintine/acetone processes lack. Jessica kept her method top secret, I don't. I will tell you how I did it, I do not know if the paper is still available, and if it is if it has or has not been reformulated. In college I was for a period trying new papers, I found the strathmore line of inkjet papers. These papers had a very thick coating. One particularly so, Strathmore Photo Matte, which appeared to be made from a gelatine. When I printed on it, the blacks became very buldged with lots of gain, resulting in a speckled appearance. To remidy i tried washing the print under the faucet. It worked to some degree, and gave it an interesting bleached effect as well, though, I was not satisfied with the results. However, I did notice that the gelatine coating was swolen and appeard to lift from the page. It had a slippery, slimey feel and appeared thicker than it was when it was dry. If scratched with a fingernail, the coaiting and ink would come off onto your finger in what looked very similar to household gelatine. In the previous semester John Paul Caponigro brought out a acetone transfer from a color laser print. I was not impressed, but i knew instantly that it had potential. A few days later i went to the hardware store to buy a heavy galvanized pipe to use as a rolling pin, a rolling pin would work too, but i did not think of it at the time. I also bought a black rubber/plastic tub, about five gallons. I brought them back to my dorm, soaked a print for about 5 minutes and pressed it to some inexpensive hot pressed water color paper of fairly high density. The transfered image was very dim, and appeared that the gelatine did not adhere to the paper properly. For some reason it occured to me that the paper would become more available if it were soaked as well, along with the print. So I put a peice of the paper in the water and let it soak until it became soft. I then removed one of my windows and placed it on the floor. I also took the stand which held up my laundry basket and placed several window screens on it to use to dry the print. I soaked the paper and the print together for about eight minutes. I got kind of bored just sitting there, so i started to adgitate the tub gently, and found that this further lifted the gelatine but removed some of the magenta ink. I placed the wet peice of water color paper on the peice of glass. I noticed that the print kept sliding around, resulting in smudgy images. I also noticed that the back of the print slightly stuck to the pipe I was using. On the next transfer I stuck the bottom of the back of the print on the pipe and pressed it firmly against the water color paper. The print adhered to the paper, and I was able to roll without problem. I noticed after a while the gelitin stopped oozing from the sides, and I figured that was enough as all the gelatine was transfered into the water color paper. I pulled the paper apart, it was suprisingly stuck together, but not so much that the original would rip. The result, a perfectly transfered print on the water color paper, and a very, very faint image on the original with virtually all the gelatine coating removed. The transfered image has very fine patterns where the two were pulled apart, and the results can be very depthy and rich, but fine detail is completely lost in the process. The image is waterproof, and has not faded in four years, but is kept in a box at all times. I found that if you take a brush gently over the entire image, little is lost, but a color cast will be applied to the frame. The quality also changes somewhat, the texture is smoothed out, and sometimes brush strokes are left behind (Self Portrait Six) The transfer is then left to dry face up, on coastal maine this took about twelve hours. The transfer is then pressed and matted. If you try this, PLEASE let me see what you come up with. It may be possible to coat your own paper using multiple coats using household or photographic/laboratory gelatine.