A rare pancake! Voigtlander Ultron 40mm in Olympus OM mount?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by rob_h|5, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Probably even more rare than the Zuiko 40/2. I've never seen one of the Ultrons for sale.
    Rumors were it performed very well, but it's not much of an option if you can't get one.

2. Your source refers to the availability in Oly mount as "Most likely it is just an Internet-fueled rumor." If you want one of
    these compact (but not "pancake", honest. I have one in Nikon mount) lenses, get the Nikon mount version and a Nikon
    to Four Thirds adapter.

I've seen a lot of people praise the 40mm f2.0 Zuiko, but I was not impressed by it. Granted, that was many years ago, on
    film. On a 2x crop, the Voigtlander is hard to beat.

3. I too suspect that this is a red herring. Why would Cosina produce a lens like that as late as 2005?

4. I can't see them even making the original SL (2002) in OM mount, let alone the SL 2 (2007). As far as I know, the only CV
    lenses released in OM mount were long ones, the 75mm Color Heliar and the 90mm and 125mm APO Lanthar.

5. No, it is a fact that they made them, at least the SL version, in very limited numbers and only for a short production run, but I believe they were mostly snapped up in Japan and even if a few made it to the US, they quickly sold out, and foreign buyers were involved too.
    Somebody named K kawakami has some shots posted on p base.

6. The 40mm f2, either Zuiko or Voigtlander are all overpriced collector lenses. I've had two 40mm f2 Zuiko's pass through my hands. Both were too perfect to be users and were sold for 4X what I paid for them to provide funds for other, more mundane but useable lenses. Performance wise they were competent but not "WOW" lenses.

7. Slightly off topic, but I had one of the Zuiko 40mm lenses, too. Bought it on eBay, used it (on film) for about 6 months, sold it for slightly more that I paid for it.
    It was a nice lens, compact and reasonably sharp, but nothing really special. Don't really understand the premium price they command, except that Oly apparently didn't make very many.

8. Just to resurrect this thread... They did make an OM-mount Ultron 40mm f/2. I have one, new-in-box. (For sale if anyone really has to have it.)
    [​IMG]

9. do you still have this Ultron OM for sale?

10. Why even bother? The 50mm f1.8 is super sharp, compact, everything you could want.

11. Ricocroce - I do still have it, yes.

12. I agree. Get the one that says "Made in Japan" on the beauty ring. It's the best of the bunch. I have 3 or 4 50mm 1.8 lenses and I only use my MIJ version.

NOT this one:

But this one: