A question for Tenax II users

Hia all,

<br>I have shot two rolls with my Zeiss Ikon Tenax II rangefinder and

encountered a problem with my images. The film gate of the camera

seems to be aligned that the exposed image is not correctly aligned in

the center of the film, but a little offset up or down. This means,

that with standard 35mm cassettes the image is partly on the film's edge.

<p>The camera is supposed to make square images, but with the picture

overlapping the perforation about one millimeter, I cannot get square

prints and lose some mage information.

<p>My question now is, is this a feature of the Tenax II, or do I make

a mistake while loading the film? Had 35mm cassettes a bit different

size in the 1930s? How can I shoot film that the negatives are

correctly positioned on the film to get the full square format?<div>00GOFt-29935784.jpg.6757f93dc6a6b310196b8a4274c0ede2.jpg</div>

It's definitely not a "feature" of the Tenax II, but it's also probably not your mistake. I have 2 Tenax II's & each accepts modern 35mm cassettes without a problem. I don't have any negs/slides w/me, but I don't recall the images significantly crossing over into the sprocket area--if they do, it's just a little bit, like on a Contax II or TM Leica & always consistent (IIRC towards the bottom of the neg/slide). Sounds like you may be experiencing a mechanical issue w/the camera or the back, where the film cassette (&/or the spool) isn't seating properly. If you show some pictures maybe 1 of the more mechanically-minded forum members could spot the problem.

Oh, and Christopher, how do I remove the lens? I don't have a manual and don't know how the lens mount works. I don't want to break anything by trying to force it (not that I have second lens, but still it could be useful for cleaning).

With the lens removed I could also check out whether the sprockets are in the film gate on the upper or lower edge. Maybe some padding could cure my problem then.

To remove the lens, press down on the lens release (@ 12 o'clock when looking @ the front of the camera, to the right of the circular rotating RF prism on the lens & above & to the left of the shutter speed lever, see pix in Mike Elek's article here: http://elekm.net/zeiss/tenax_ii.html) & twist the lens clockwise (or is it counterclockwise? Again, I don't have my cameras w/me @ work).

Christopher, you might be on to something. If I recall correctly, the camera came without a take-up spool and I think I might have used one from my regular Tenax I camera (or maybe from a Kiev-3). So the take-up spool could be responsible for the misaligned framing.

I just labeled two of my take-up spools and inserted them into the Tenax II camera. The "Tenax II (?)" is the spool I used for my rolls (resulting in misaligned images), the "Kiev 4" is from a Kiev 4 camera. I guess it's hard to see, but the spools indeed differ a little bit in shape. So maybe the "Kiev 4" spool might fit better in this camera.<div>00GObK-29941884.jpg.03a9a7a60480f2b58f8cb6b92aa0116a.jpg</div>

I don't know much about Kiev spools. The spools from my Kiev 2 & 2a appear to be the same as my Contax II spools, which are, in turn, identical to the ones for all my pre-WWII Zeiss Ikon 35mm cameras (Tenax II, Nettax, Super Nettel, etc.).

Hope the spool change fixes your problem.