A question for Leica M Monochrome owners/users

stric

<p>Since it's a B&W camera only, does one need to use filters (yellow, red, blue, etc.) that are usually used for B&W film photography? Or do you apply filters during post-processing, for example in Photo Shop (I'm not sure about hte later, since the camera records no colors).<br>

I'm just curious. Thanks.</p>

<p>The photography filters in front of the lens. B&W have been making them all the time, Leica will make (at least sell) them again this summer. - Side note: 39mm filter mount seems still a step child of the industry; there is neither the "container", a screw in front and rear cap between which you put all your various filters, nor supply of step up rings to use 46mm filters on 39mm lenses from the usual 3rd parties. - I hope that will change soon.</p>

<p>The most useful contrast filters, yellow (#8) and red (#29) are available from B+W (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Circular+Sizes_39mm&ci=113&N=4026728353+4294955274). You can also pay twice as much for these and other filters with the Leica marque.</p>

<p>B+W also makes polarizing filters in this size. You don't need circular polarizers, but they work just as well as the linear versions, and are available in the Kaesemann (sealed edges) style). Polarizers have the same contrast effect on B&W as on color film, and are highly effective penetrating atmospheric haze due to scattering. Kaesemann filters are much less likely to get moisture between the layers, which ruins the filter.</p>

Thought I have been using different

filters for B&W photography for almost

50 years, I have to honestly admit that I

am surprised with the responses to this

question. Do users of digital cameras

use filters for convenience or just

greater consistency knowing the

particular results a certain filter will

provide (rather than using color sliders

in photoshop)? I have a few decent

digital cameras and the few B&W shots

I have taken with these I made

adjustments prior to printing. I do

shoot 75% B&W but it is all film.

<blockquote>

<p>"Do users of digital cameras use filters for convenience or just greater consistency knowing the particular results a certain filter will provide (rather than using color sliders in photoshop)?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Opinions differ on whether filters distort the data on color captures, and may vary depending on the sensor and raw processing. The easiest demonstration is to use a blue filter on some older digital cameras and compare the noise with the results of a blue filter on b&w film. Or just isolate the blue channel for monochrome conversions. Some digital blue filter tools will also exaggerate noise. B&W film doesn't respond that way to blue filters. That's the most notable difference. But blue filters aren't often used with panchromatic films anyway.</p>

<p>There may be some instances when a b&w "contrast" filter works better on the lens with some digital cameras. But reading all the technical minutiae made my eyes glaze over. So I use filters only for infrared on my digital cameras (each responds differently, so one IR filter doesn't work the same on all digital cameras), or polarizers. Any b&w conversions and tonal response adjustments are done in post.</p>

• 2 weeks later...