A question about supporting the local camera store.

Hi guys, this is more of an opinionated question, so I hope everyone can chime in.

I'm in the market for a 35/2 and see three options. Buy used for ~$250, buy new online for $330 (w/ shipping) or

pay $350 and support my local camera store. On any normal circumstance, I would probably try and find it used

first. But the more and more I go into the local camera store the more I realize there is never anyone in there

and always a bunch of people working. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. Would it be worth it to grit my

teeth and spend $70 or so extra?

Any opinions would be great. I plan to shoot it on a D50 (possibly D200 soon) and Nikon FG.

Connor, I think it is a great idea wanting to support the local shop. If you are buying new and like the local shop folks then for the slight upcharge ($20) it is well worth it to buy local. If you are eperienced buyer of used camera gear then it's hard to beat the web for pricing. If you are not experienced, buying used gear sight unseen is something of a crap shoot. Buying from good dealers like KEH or B&H help your odds but it's still buying sight unseen. Now the place you really want to develop a local, personal relationship is with a good repair shop. A great camera tech, that you can work closely with, is worth his weight in gold! Best of Luck............................Lou

If you frequent the camera store, and request assistance and play with their toys, I would make my purchases there. Personally, I make my purchases at B&H and don't visit any stores. But I pay more than at some online stores, however B&H accepts my returns and is helpful when I need it. These things are more important to me than saving a buck. It's your money and your decision.

Connor... Are you from the US? It seems to me that people in the states tend to buy more on the net than at the local

store. I notice everybody's threads like"today I ordered ....." "My Dxxx arrived today" and so on. I really don't like buying

on the net. i rather deal one to one with my local store. yeah! His prices are rocket high BUT all I have to tell him is how

much I can get it for on the web and he matches the price. Of curse in little things like filters, software, accessories where

the differences is a few bucks I never ask him for discount. Another good thing is that lenses and camera bodies, he

doesn't stamp the warranty card. So like my D300 after 6 months of use I still have 1 year warranty on it. Can you get that

the web? And for sure if one day I have a problem with a product he will do everything he can to help me. He did it once already. I bought I

used lens from him and (80-200 f2.8) and a few months later I had a problem with the manual/auto ring. took it to him, he sent it to Nikon, a

week later I had it back, free of charge. The only reason I buy on the web is if I find a used lens or something that my local store doesn't

have in stock

and it will take long time to get. Rene'

My basic rule of thumb is if I can buy something local and not have to pay more than 10-15 percent extra, I do it. It supports the local store, local economy, and if people stop doing this soon there will be no more camera stores. The local store is a great place for information, easier to return things to if necessary. My local store, a small independent, carries used gear it takes as trade-ins and occasionally something neat can be found there. It is also sometimes a local hangout for fellow photographers. Where else can you go to actually handle something before you buy it? Not always necessary, but sometimes important..............

I try and support my local camera store. The reasons are quite simple, if I have a problem with my camera, I do not have to send it back to some store back east to have them look at it. I just take it to the dealer I bought it from to have them look at it.

And another reason I buy local, is I use to work in a camera store in my hometown, and know how hard MOST dealers work to keep their customers happy.

I have never bought any camera equipment from any internet camera company; other than a video from B&H.

The day before I bought my D40 from our local Ritz camera store, the price was $549.99, when I went in to get it the next day, to my and the salespersons surprise, the price was $499.99.

I just got back into photography after a 14 year break. I was amazed at how FEW camera stores are left in my area, Seattle, WA. When I left photography there were dozens of local camera stores in the Seattle area. Now there are but a hand full, mostly big box stores.

I support my local dealers whenever I and my budget can afford it. Bought my D60 kit with two lenses from a local dealer, paid $50 more than I would have over the net. But I bought my 16-85 VR and 70-300VR from Amazon.com, almost $200 difference each in price. I usually buy all my accessories from the local shops.

Everyone has a budget but I try to support the local shops as much as I can. Otherwise one day you may find that there is no local shop left to go fondle the newest camera, lens, etc.

Johnny,

I was saddened to learn that Ivey Seright closed this year. They had an absolutely perfect E-6 line. I always used that

lab whenever I was working in Seattle.

However, I am really glad that Glazer's Camera is still in business. Glazer's has great service for the professional and is

a genuine photo candy store . Their staff always went out of their way to help me with whatever gear I needed, ASAP.

That is a local camera store I would support, because they in turn support you.

http://www.glazerscamera.com/

I buy used equipment, especially lenses, locally whenever possible. Gives me the chance to thoroughly inspect the piece. And prices are usually very reasonable, considering the cost of shipping, hassling with returns or exchanges if the equipment turns out to be unsatisfactory.

Many online stores have liberal return policies if you are not happy with a product. This policy applies to new as well as used lenses. As there can be good and bad copies of any lens, where you purchase it can be very important.

As ot all lenses are created equal.I think if you get your hand on a really good lens in a local retail store and it is only a little more than an online store, to me it is worth buying it and paying a bit of a premium. I have done so on several occasions. The sales clerks are often surprised when I want to purchase the display lens that I tested rather than a new lens in the box.

I would buy everything I possibly could from the local store, I would never haggle over price, and I would forge a

relationship with those guys, visiting them regularly just to BS, etc. I do that with my local music store, which is where I

buy EVERYTHING for the church I work at, and guess what... They give me a nice little discount... which I never asked

for.

Not only does it keep some money in the local economy, it makes friendships which will likely make a difference in your

life for the better, way more than a the glass you buy. (Sorry, I started preaching... I do work at a church remember...)

Connor, try the local camera store and see if they are willing to move on price a bit, or to throw something in (filter, whatever). I know it seems mean to haggle, but when it comes to money a lot of us consumers are as desperate as the shops, and so I don't think it's unreasonable. Mind you, $20 is peanuts when you're looking at the difference between $330 online, or $350 local store, and for that small an amount I'd just go local if buying new.

years ago I always bought local. Now, there is only one decent camera store left where I live, a city of 300,000+. It used to have a whole wall of cameras on display, floor to ceiling. I've had conversations with the owner on several occassions about whether not having readily available stock locally is the cause of peaple buying on the internet, or the cheaper price on the internet caused people to not buy local

Well, its kinda a toss up. As a general rule I try to shop locally first then online. last year I was in the market for a New Sony Alpha 100. So I went to my local camera store to trade in a couple of Maxxum film bodies and some lenses. Not looking to trade for even money just so I could buy a additional lens or 2 .Business must be real good cause he wanted to give me less than peanuts for the trade items and wanted full retail for the body.So no deal, I sold on Ebay and purchased direct from Sony on a refurb at a great price with a 12 month warranty.

A quite good local camera store closed this summer after more than 60 years of business.

There are three other stores of a similar good size still hanging on (including two who carry on supplying traditional photography and

darkroom supplies as well as digital stuff) but the store that closed will be sorely missed.

It was a meeting place for photographers, had sales persons who shared their information readily (who may be waiting on restaurants now),

a place where amateur photgraphers could put up their photos on display, where you could advertise local photo events, learn about stuff

coming down the pike, and so on.

Like many local post offices and specialty shops, other great community places, they are a disappearing breed.

Too bad. Doing everything by internet or telephone order may be efficient and convenient but it is gradually dehumanising patterns of

life for the photographer (and others). Taking or making photographs is a singular and often lonely activity. Having good stores and

camera clubs is a good way to keep it a collective activity, at least on a purely local level, which is normally a priority for most of us.

Personally, I buy on internet or via telephone order only when the item I am looking for is unattainable locally, unless the price is vastly

different (which often it is not). And if the choice is available, I prefer to buy from a bona fide camera store rather than a multiproduct chain

that might have slightly better prices but next to nill customer contact and service.

Ever since I got into photography in 1974, I've always bought mass quantities of gear locally (I'm from New Orleans). The camera stores loved seeing me come in, LOL. My being an untreated manic depressive back then helped their bottom lines considerably (when I was manic).

Now, since I still shoot film only, and since I was displaced from New Orleans by hurricane Katrina, I'm 215 miles from the nearest camera store. They stock hardly any film, and pretty much everything they sell is digital. Since I don't use digital, I concentrate on used manual focus gear from Keh.com and eBay. I do support a local lab in New Orleans, though. I'll bring in about 10 rolls of film every couple of months for developing.

One problem in purchasing locally is the sales tax which can be significant. Though I've never done it, I suppose that you might save a few bucks by having the item shipped to a friend or relative out of state, then reshipped to you. Another possibility is to have your local store order it for you out of state, and drop ship to you. I would think that this is perfectly legal in that it is about the same as mail order.