A Patchwork Tripod

gloria_hopkins

I tried SIX times to post here. Apparently I have too many question marks and

one too many exclamation marks in my post to make the cut. I tried to fix and

repost many times but a girl just has to give up after awhile .....

I wrote a sentimental little piece on my "Patchwork Tripod" and if you want to

see it, please go here:

http://gusthegreybird.wordpress.com/

It's nice ... and I'm sorry about the link. If this doesn't work, I flat-out

give up....

Gloria

The link works fine.

I think we have filters here to stop the overenthusiastic use of long strings of consecutive punctuation symbols. As far as I know standard English punctuation only allows the use of one question mark or exclamation point (!).

I enjoyed that.

I currently have several non-manufacturer parts on my tripod. The best cost saving repair so far has been to replace one plastic wingnut knob with one metal one. I've lost the part twice. The first time I ordered an actual replacement, and it was $8 + shipping. My second repair consisted of a $.60 wingnut from a hardware store. When you bushwhack with camera gear, you learn quickly that stuff breaks, and often makeshift repairs last longer than the original part.

Personally, I'd rather see the filter set at three. It is pretty common, but not technically correct, to see the use of three exclamation or question marks to emphazise a point. Without tone, this is one of the limited ways we can express emotion in written conversation. This is photo.net, not grammer.net, or for that matter, spelling.net, for you cannot misspell aperture either. ;)

My brand new tripod was purchased around 1982 or so. It?s a Bogen 3046 studio tripod. It?s heavy (about 10 lbs) and very unsightly compared to all those new Gitzos and such.

It came with a very unsightly Bogen 3047 head. This tripod is made to self destruct at the first sign of wear and abuse. It gets treated delicately, as it rides in my truck tool box on top of the jumper cables and the jack I keep in there.

I use it almost every day, (and I mean literally almost every day), for the past 25 years, and it shows no signs of giving up. I will admit I don?t carry it too far, only because I don?t carry my 600 f4 too far either.

I know that some will tell me I?m old fashioned, and cheap, (yes on both accounts) but I just hate to give up on an old friend.

And the one last redeeming value of my old worn out tripod? Some of the camera yuppsters tell me about their Gitzos and Wimberly mounts and how much weight they hold, and how steady they are, and how easy they are to carry, blah, blah, blah... I just take out and show them the old copy of the ad showing Lester Bogen sitting on his 3046 tripod.

Keep shooting and having fun. That?s what it?s all about.<div>00PE64-43025384.thumb.jpg.29744c6076191930fe3f4ab77b20f0a0.jpg</div>