A Nikon user considering the E620

cc_chang2

<p>I have used Nikon for over 30 years and currently have a D-80. I like to travel and take PJ style of pictures. I also like to hike. After the birth of my baby, I now also invest a number of lens (eg., Sigma 50 mm f1.4) to shoot indoors without flash. I find the Olympus E620 attractive because it has built in image stabilization which helps my unsteady hands (to capture a fast moving baby). I also like its compact size, which is great for travel light, and the vari-angle screen. I did not seriously consider the E system until now because the previous system, e.g., E520, has relatively limited dynamic range so I would not have gained much by buying a new camera. I believe the dynamic range of the E620 is better than D-80.</p>

<p>However despite the fact that Olympus makes small, compact, and inexpensive camera, its lens appear to be just as big and expensive as the Nikon, and there is very limited selection of fast primes. I like wide angle lenses. Does anybody have a E620 with a 11-22 lens? The 11-22 seems quite large so I wonder how well it balances on the E620. Besides the obvious difference in the range and speed, how does the 11-22 compare to the 9-18/3.5-5.6?</p>

<p>"I find the Olympus E620 attractive because it has built in image stabilization which helps my unsteady hands (to capture a fast moving baby). "<br>

So you face two kinds of movement as possible source of blur: hand shake (which can be reduced by image stabilisation) and baby movement (which cannot be reduced by image stabilisation). If the baby is fast moving, image stabilisation doesn't help at all. You need fast primes and a good high iso capability. I would rather invest in a good fast prime (maybe 1.8/35) for your Nikon than buying into a new system.</p>

<p>I already have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens and am planning on getting the Nikon 35/1.8, although it is sold out every where, and I do not want to pay extra for this lens. If I am shooting a stationary object when I am clam and relaxed, I can control the hand shake, but I flinch when my subject suddenly moves, as is the case photographing my one-yr old.</p>

<p>I am also looking into the G1 b/c I really miss a small digital camera that functions like a rangefinder cam. However the lack of fast prime keeps me on the side line waiting for the G2 ...</p>

<p>CC, the problem seems to be your tendency to flinch. maybe you need to work on bracing techniques or even shoot with a monopod to help steady yourself. the cheapest solution might be a wrist strap and a bit of breath control.</p>

<p>a camera with built-in stabilization would help, but with either the 9-18 or 11-22, you're in essence trading a fast lens for a slower one, which might negate the benefits of stabilization in the first place. there's a big difference between 1.4 and 3.5.</p>

<p>in any event, i'm not sure you will gain much except lightening your wallet from an e-620. it's more of a lateral move, especially as you have invested a bit into nikon.</p>

<p>that said, if you want a compact digital rangefinder, i'd maybe consider the oly E-P1 w/ 17mm 2.8. reviews indicate its pretty good at high-ISO, and i believe it does have stabilization.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> i'd maybe consider the oly E-P1 w/ 17mm 2.8. reviews indicate its pretty good at high-ISO, and i believe it does have stabilization.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have two issues with the E-P1, the lack of a vari-angle screen and a built-in flash. Thus I like the G1 more, which is not much bigger, although it does not look nearly as sexy. Instinct tells me to avoid version 1 of anything. I know it is possible to mount the 17/2.8 on a G1 with an adapter but I would rather wait till panasonic make a 17 or 12 mm lens specific for the G1 type of camera. I think the G1 may have better ISO performance. In the mean time, I will work on my techniques ...</p>

<p>Vivek,<br>

I saw a number of posts from you on the G1 and it seems that you like it a lot. How do you like the 17/2.8 on G1? I understand that its EVF is noisy in low light. If I were to shoot indoors, say in a typical house hold or museum, cafe, etc, is the EVF still functional enough? In cases where the EVF is noise, can one use the LCD instead? I also came to the conclusion that it may be better to use my Nikon in cases where the quality of bokeh is important. The G1, or the m4/3 in general, is weak in this area b/c of the lack of fast lens and shallow DOF. I don't own any Leica lens and they are not cheap. Perhaps I will eventually get a G1 with a 17/2.8 (or better yet 12/2.8) as a walk around combo and use the Nikon for other purposes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have two issues with the E-P1, the lack of a vari-angle screen and a built-in flash. Thus I like the G1 more, which is not much bigger, although it does not look nearly as sexy."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>have to agree the G1 isnt as <em>sexy</em> as E-P1. if i wanted a vari-angle LCD, though, i'd get a nikon d5000. but E-P1 does offer optional flash as well as viewfinder for 17/2.8. and it may be better at high ISO than G1, although CDAF is slower. both are version 1, whereas d5000 is Gen 2.5. and good luck lusting after a lens (12/2.8) which doesnt yet and may not exist.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I saw a number of posts from you on the G1 and it seems that you like it a lot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Functionally (but not look wise), it is the real Pen (and more). Just bought another G1 to augment my current one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How do you like the 17/2.8 on G1? I understand that its EVF is noisy in low light. If I were to shoot indoors, say in a typical house hold or museum, cafe, etc, is the EVF still functional enough? In cases where the EVF is noise, can one use the LCD instead?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Focusing in low light using the EVF or the LCD (the very same) is better than anything else. Compared to the D80, 5X better! Noise does not affect the ability to focus!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also came to the conclusion that it may be better to use my Nikon in cases where the quality of bokeh is important. The G1, or the m4/3 in general, is weak in this area b/c of the lack of fast lens and shallow DOF. I don't own any Leica lens and they are not cheap. Perhaps I will eventually get a G1 with a 17/2.8 (or better yet 12/2.8) as a walk around combo and use the Nikon for other purposes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use many fast lenses (all manual focus lenses) with my G1. Several 25/0.95 lenses, a 12/1.4, a 50/0.95, a 42/1.2, 60/1.5, 75/1.3....</p>

<p>Because of the very short camera registry, almost any lens can be adapted to be used with the G1.</p>

<p>My latest addition is a Pentax-110 lens (18/2.8). Turns out to be a super lens on G1 (much much better than it ever performed on my Pentax 110 camera!)</p>

<p>I can not understand you complaining about lack of choices. Just forget the slow zooms from Panasonic and Olympus, the choice is unlimited.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if i wanted a vari-angle LCD, though, i'd get a nikon d5000.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I only have one AFS lens so that means that I need to manually focus on the D-5000. I have no problem with this technically, as I had a FM2N for almost 20 years. However the advantage of AF, especially when photographing fast moving objects, cannot be underestimated so if I go with D-5000, I feel that I am downgrading. I believe that vari-angle LCD will soon show up in more advanced models. The rumor has it for a while that Nikon will bring out the D400 to replace D300, and the D400 has such a feature, but then Nikon leaked the release of D-300s, which does not have this feature. Oh well ... I would like to own a more professional grade Nikon for more demanding duties and get a lighter camera for traveling. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Several 25/0.95 lenses, a 12/1.4, a 50/0.95, a 42/1.2, 60/1.5, 75/1.3....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you have a list some where to tell us what these lenses are?</p>

<p>This is a very comprehensive review on the G1 with a good discussion on the adapters:<br>

http://www.photo.net/equipment/panasonic/g1/review/</p>

<p>The price for G1 is coming down. You can now get a blue G1 with the 14-45 lens for just a little bit over $600. I wonder whether Panasonic will continue to sell G1, now that G1H is on the market.</p>

<p>I can't comment directly on the E620, but I recently bought an E420 and was very disappointed with the quality of its images, both with the 25mm f2.8 and the kit lens. This is really unfortunate, because the size, shape and general handling of the camera are terrific; just what I was looking for.<br>

All I can say is try the camera first with the lens you intend to use. and look carefully at the results.<br>

On the rebound, and still looking for a small, high quality dslr, I bought one of the blue Panasonic G1's mentioned above. I've had it for a couple of days, shot about 200 unmemorable frames while walking around my local "downtown" area. Tried to shoot as many different kinds of situations as possible: high contrast, low contrast, bright colors and subtle ones, etc. Results are fantastic! Tack sharp, even with the slow kit lens, nicer colors than the Olympus (Only my opinion, of course). The TV viewfinder is a little weird at first but useful, gets brighter when you look into dark alleys. The Vibration Reduction on the kit lens really works.<br>

I've ordered the Leica M adapter from Cameraquest, and the 17mm Olympus is looking good.<br>

Overall, I highly recommend the G1. But buy it quickly. It looks to me like the G1 is going away, and I'd be much less happy with the camera if I'd paid the $1300 or $1400 that they're asking for the newer model.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I can't comment directly on the E620, but I recently bought an E420 and was very disappointed with the quality of its images, both with the 25mm f2.8 and the kit lens. This is really unfortunate, because the size, shape and general handling of the camera are terrific; just what I was looking for.<br>

All I can say is try the camera first with the lens you intend to use. and look carefully at the results.<br>

On the rebound, and still looking for a small, high quality dslr, I bought one of the blue Panasonic G1's mentioned above. I've had it for a couple of days, shot about 200 unmemorable frames while walking around my local "downtown" area. Tried to shoot as many different kinds of situations as possible: high contrast, low contrast, bright colors and subtle ones, etc. Results are fantastic! Tack sharp, even with the slow kit lens, nicer colors than the Olympus (Only my opinion, of course). The TV viewfinder is a little weird at first but useful, gets brighter when you look into dark alleys. The Vibration Reduction on the kit lens really works.<br>

I've ordered the Leica M adapter from Cameraquest, and the 17mm Olympus is looking good.<br>

Overall, I highly recommend the G1. But buy it quickly. It looks to me like the G1 is going away, and I'd be much less happy with the camera if I'd paid the $1300 or $1400 that they're asking for the newer model.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Overall, I highly recommend the G1. But buy it quickly</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I ordered it last night. Even though I think the G1 will soon be replaced by GH1 and be thing of the past. However, at $600 with the kit lens, it is a reasonable price point for what I plan to use it for as a back-up or walk about system beside the big and heavy Nikon. I need to replace my Nikon Coolpix 5400 who has been in that role for over 6 years, and it is really showing its age, despite the fact that it has a wide angle lens, vari-angle screen, and pretty good ISO performance. The price for the GH1 will be quite high for a while, especially considering the fact that you can't seem to be able to find one yet.</p>

<p>I went to a local store to play with the G1 and was very impressed by how snappy it is to work in the shop indoors. The EVF is bright and clear in a room that is about the average brightness that you would expect indoors. The AF is very fast, and the you can focus really close with the kit 14-xx lens, making it possible to do macro with nice bokeh. </p>