A nice rear lens cap

<p>The work that Rick and Tony do, showcasing lesser-known cameras and the great results they get from those, is something I look forward to, and among the very nicest things of this site. Since I'm not much in the way of a camera collector, there is precious little to share back, but since I'm a bit of a lens freak....<br>

On various sites, I read praise for the Nikon 50mm f/2 being one of their nicest; since most of my gear is Nikon, I figured it was about time to add one. I've got the 50mm f/1.2 AiS, which I like a lot, but curiosity still got the better part of me. Looking at the local eBay, the Ai 50mm f/2 however didn't come quite as cheap as I hoped. And while browsing the lists, I came across an auction that apparently nobody cared for.<br>

So, for a very moderate sum, I had my 50mm f/2, pre-AI though. Luckily it came with a Nikkormat FT, which on the images looked in pretty good shape. The pictures didn't lie, and first impressions was that it's in a really good state actually. I only cannot get the battery door unscrewed, and the exposure meter doesn't do a thing (so if there is a battery, it's flat). Other than that - all good to go.<br>

It is an original FT, not the more common FTn or later models; I have no production figures whatsoever, but given the relatively short production span of the original FT (1965 to 1967), it's probably one of Nikon more rare consumer cameras.</p><div>00dudr-562728484.jpg.3d1d0e6754554aeb36b81b49b39bcf5e.jpg</div>

<p>The camera is quite nice to use; somehow makes me think that moving the shutterspeed selection to the top wasn't the most logical choice, as the shutterspeed ring on this camera is easy to use, also by touch it's impossible to go wrong much. Everything runs smooth, it's a solid brick and that 50mm f/2.... yep, I get what people are on about.</p><div>00duds-562728584.jpg.e773340f105e23e27ae7e30f733894e9.jpg</div>

<p>So far, I only shot one roll, so after the product images, some results; Delta 100 developed in Perceptol 1+1. All in all, I am quite pleased (given I am relatively new still with developing). The images are nothing in particolar, since I wasn't entirely convinced everything would work, no fancy photos, just a stroll around town.</p><div>00dudt-562728684.jpg.f8121135cca76331a0fdf0d2b0a99c5c.jpg</div>

Nice results. The 50 mm f2 Nikkor (both AI and non AI versions) is often eclipsed by the pricier and impressive looking f

1.4 versions, but gives up nothing in quality. I've had the AI version of the f 2 for many years and never found the need to

get the f 1.4

<p>Very nice images, <strong>Wouter</strong>, from a great camera. For years I was firmly in the Canon camp but a few years ago I bought my first Nikon, a Nikkormat FTn, and now it's a "go-to" camera for the testing of film, or just sheer messing around. It's so well-built, it handles so well and it just feels so good in the hand, and that lens is truly excellent. Other Nikons followed, but the Nikkormat rules in terms of usage. Thanks for the post!</p>

<p>I got the Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 on my Nikkormat FTn (my first Nikon product). I later got the 55mm f/1.2 so the f/1.4 never made much sense -- especially given how good the f/2 lens is at everything except black cat in a dark closet shots.</p><div>00duft-562731684.jpg.35b7d0f16a9e970462f9b9df20d4c37e.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks all, and especially also thanks for the tips on how I could free up the battery cap; I'll give that a try. I'm not that desperate to get the metering working, but I do want to be sure there is no battery leaking or corroding there inside. And if the metering still turns out working, I sure won't complain. Nor be surprised, as the sense of quality with bodies as these is just lovely.</p>

<p>The 50f/2 is a real classic. The FT & FTn cameras are real workhorse bodies. You can remove the bottom plate to work on the battery cap, just don't loose the rewind button and it's spring. The FT has averaging metering and the FTn center weighted metering, both work well. Chris</p>

<p>I have both an FT and and an FTn. Beautifully made cameras. Don't really give up anything with respect to the Leicaflex, either. I think the Nikkormats are even heavier. The necessity to set the max aperture of each new lens though is a design flaw with the FT, which is no longer necessary with the FTn. I can't help thinking that Nikon chose an overly complex way of doing an open aperture meter reading, but realize this dates from the original Nikon F.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Yeah, with the Nikon F, it wasn't until the advent of the Photomic FTn finder (the last one for the F) with its auto-indexing feature that Nikon finally came up with a way to sidstep all the finagling. Not being all that familiar with the earlier Nikkormats, though (I own an FT3), I wasn't aware this was also an issue with them.</p>

<p>I haven't bothered yet with setting the max aperture (as I cannot yet use the expsoure meter), but I figure it'll be a drag once one changes lenses often, and become a very good reason to get all lenses with the same aperture. It's a fiddly little control for sure.<br>

Thing I forgot to mention, the film advance lever is about as smooth as the one on my F3. And that's a good step above the other SLRs I use. Silky smooth.</p>

<p>You are right about the camera being a brick, so solid and well made, and a lot of pros back in the day preferred to use the Nikkormat over the F. There was certainly no drop in build quality, you can hammer in nails with these cameras!<br>

The 50mm F2 is also a classic, doesn't seem to matter which version you use, they all are a class act. Nice to see that you have a good working outfit that is already taking some nice pics. If you have just started developing film then you deserve a pat on the back!<br>

I love that street scene, where do you live? Looks to be a really nice place.</p>

<p>Thanks, Tony... the development so far is a personal development of about 1 year, so well, there is still truckloads to learn but that's OK - I'm having fun, I like B&W film a lot "pictorially", and cameras as this Nikkormat do have a nice refreshing simpleness next to the digital beast. I live in Sicily, this is the old city centre of Siracusa, and I can't argue - it's a very nice place indeed!</p>