A Minolta X700 Shoots Meccano

John Seaman

<p >The X700 is perhaps the most advanced Minolta manual focus SLR, boasting as it does, TTL flash exposure control and a Programme Mode – the height of automation in the 1980's, when the camera selected both aperture and shutter speed to give what it "thought" were the correct settings to suit the shooting conditions.</p><div>00bI42-516623584.jpg.870e587108ad047de2a01c5ed2607fe0.jpg</div>

<p>It came only in all black finish, and mine has a trace of brassing which somehow give it a classier feel. The main switch has three positions, OFF, ON and, well, BEEP. I think it beeps at you when the shutter speed's too low. Other controls are simple, with the usual ISO/ exposure compensation dial on the left, and the main shutter speed/ A/ P wheel on the right (as you hold the camera). The viewfinder shows shutter speed, and aperture via a peep window.</p><div>00bI44-516623684.jpg.02b5cabbe0a79507c4c2d9deff8b9cd7.jpg</div>

<p >To use programme mode you have to set the lens to minimum aperture ans slide across the little lock. Its very similar to using shutter priority mode on the slightly earlier XD series.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The camera has a dedicated flashgun, the Auto 360PX, which is still a very useful piece of kit as it apart from TTL it has three auto settings and five manual setting levels, making it useful for example as a fill light.</p><div>00bI45-516625584.jpg.4cc734db475492dc836d8970a930d821.jpg</div>

<p>Last one- Spaceman. The Pumping Station Museum is next door to the National Space Centre. The 28mm lens is certainly sharp.</p>

<p>If you managed to get this far, thanks for looking and as always, any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.</p><div>00bI4f-516635784.jpg.07c090829f825083c04e86c77b247053.jpg</div>

<p>Meccano is similar to what we call Erector Sets in the US. Actually I think it's the same company now. I used to have an Erector set. I had one with a motor and could make cranes, trucks, that sort of thing.</p>

<p>The X700 is a good camera. Modern metering, TTL flash, etc., with Rokkor glass. The X570 is another good one - same thing but with no P mode, but more information in the finder in M mode. The 360PX is a very useful flash. It's actually compatible with current model off camera hot-shoe flash cables made for Nikon, so you can do things like side flash with TTL.</p>

<p>I also like the X700, which is nice to handle and works well. I've always been impressed with the overall accuracy of Minolta meters. Nice shots here. I like the results from the 28, though I tend to favor a 50 more. The first generation of MD 50's is very nice, by the way.</p>

<p>I was told some years ago by an English friend that Meccano, though similar to Erector, has or had a more sophisticated selection of mechanical components, enough so that inventors often used it for prototyping. The current stuff looks a good deal more like the Erector sets of old, though. </p>

<p>I can't help but muse; are more erector sets or X-700 cameras in frequent use today? :)</p>

<p>I own two X-700 cameras. In addition to their fine photographic ability they are, IMHO, one of the most beautiful 35mm SLRs ever made. Your images inspire me to grab the pair for the next outing - great shots! Thank you for sharing them.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the comments.</p>

<p >Meccano was invented by Frank Hornby and was made by Meccano Limited of Binns Road, Liverpool, who also made Hornby model railways, Dinky toys and a lot of other stuff. In my childhood it was the choice present for boys, who would surely be inspired by it to become Engineers (as I did). There were ten sets, and the possession of a number 10 Meccano was just a dream for most people. It was huge. If you had for example a number 5, you could buy a Number 5A to convert to a number 6, and so on. Local toyshops also used to stock spare pieces and it was the highlight of my week to visit Robothams and spend my pocket money on, say, a contrate wheel, worm gear or a couple of 12 1/2 inch angle girders. Every part had its own number, and there were clockwork and electric motors, and Gears and a Mechanisms sets.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Another institution was the Meccano Magazine which extolled the virtues of the various Hornby products, as well as giving plans for models, rail layouts, and articles of interest to the engineering minded.</p>