A little advice, please?

Hi, folks,

Apparently, my Epson Stylus Photo 2200, now about 17 years old, is about to bite the dust - at least according to the handwriting on the wall in some messages popping up during the printing process. So, I'm now looking for a replacement. So far, my research indicates that the best printer for my needs might be the Epson Sure Color P600. The on-line reviews I've read so far seem to indicate that the P600 is a good quality, reliable printer. But, I'd like to get some input from you guys before I make a decision. I'm not interested in making any prints larger than 13x19 or using roll paper, due to space limitations for matting and framing prints.

What do you think?

Thanks,

William

I have owned a SC-P600 since ~April 2015, and I have made about 350 prints with it. Most of them in B&W, about half on Epson Archival matte paper, and the rest on Hahnemühle ultrasmooth. No larger than the A4 format. I have found this choice excellent, albeit expensive. Very smooth transitions in greyscale (combined with 16bits files). I had once a clogging of the print head that required a repair return to change the part, following an accidental change of the type of black photo (I never use the "photo" one, so presumably there were some crumbs in it). Also I make sure that every week I print at least two printer tests, and a kind of rainbow to make the color pipes working, and thus keep this option available without problem. Before this one, I had an Epson R3000 for about 800 prints, same papers, same proportions. No problems, no visually obvious advantage to upgrade frome the R3000 to the P600, with my pattern of printing

I owned a P600, P800 and 3880, all are great printers. Thus far, no clogging issues like my 4900 (I just gave it away; awful printer if not used nearly daily).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)