A large bubble in my thermometer...

Hi

I was about to process a few TRI-Xs and I just encountered the following problem.

The bath temps read by my precision thermometer are all false, by about 10

degrees F., because there is large bubble (or a "no-alcohol" area) in the

thermometer column. I, unsuccessfully,tried to put it in the freezer to "burst"

the bubble. What shall I do? Buy another one? (Like a super-precise digital one,

hint hint).

Thanks!

I hear you! I got a "deal" on a card of five brand new Kodak "color" darkroom

thermometers. But they had been lying on their side for decades. Totally broken up.

Nothing I tried worked. By sheer luck, the local University had some dry ice. I placed it

between two chunks and eventually the parts merged at the bottom. I think I was lucky not

to have broken it. Don't know for sure.

So, can you get some dry ice?

Chill the thermometer in ice water until the thread is at the calibration mark (or as low as it will go). Then hold the thermometer at the top and tap or flick the stem with a fingernail. You can usually rejoin the thread in a short time.

You don't need dry ice, and alcohol gets pretty viscious at dry ice temperatures anyway. Dry ice alone has very poor heat transfer. If you need to chill something to -100F, use alcohol (denatured or isopropyl) mixed with chipped dry ice as an heat transfer medium.

I have fixed lab thermometer several times by heating. Heat with the bulb gently touching a hot plate. Carefully watch it as the liquid goes up into the small bulb at the top of the column. Heat until you have an unbroken column of liquid from the bulb at the bottom to the bulb at the top, and then remove the heat. The liquid should retreat in an unbroken column.

I one was able to fix a thermometer with about 6 bubbles using this method.

I'm glad you got your problem resolved, but hold on a minute before you go out and spend big bux on a digital thremometer. A couple of years ago I was thinking along the same lines as you are now and bought a fairly expensive one. After a couple of months the thing up and quit working. Next stop - WALMART! Went into the housewares section and bought a digital kitchen thermometer. You know the kind that you stick into a roast to check its internal temperature? Spent less than $15 on the thing. It is still working and is plenty accurate enough for darkroom work, be it B&W or color. Checking it against my Paterson Color Thermometer shows a descrepancy of less than 1/2 of 1 degree F., and it is consistent. What more could you ask for?