A horse farm assignment hints

alex_z

I've just been quered to do a horse farm shooting intended to their

self promotion and probably riders (or for parents of riding

children). So far have only shot a horse jumping tournament which

isn't very similar to the assignment of this kind.

I have yet visited the location to evaluate the technical conditions,

will do that within few days.

The kind of advise I need in this thread is shooting ideas,

compositions that work best, however do not require the sophistication

of studio-type lighting which I don't have (neither I have experience

in such).

The kind of lighting I have at my disposal is Canon 550EX flash and

Sunpak 383 Super unit, both will mainly be intended for fill-in and

eye catchlights.

The camera gear is film-based:

Canon EOS-3 with accessories and 28-70/2.8L and 70-200/2.8L lenses

Bronica GS-1 (6x7 MF) with accessories + standard 100mm/3.5 PG lens,

rotary AE finder and 2 120 backs.

The Sunpak flash unit is intended for Bronica.

Of course, stable tripod, filters and so on...

Now the questions:

1. Do you think brining camera at higher position would produce more

pleasuable image ? (so that shooting from about teh height os the

rider on the horse) This is instead of shooting from regular position

so that the rider will have to look down to the camera (if his face

expression is intended to be a part of the particular image)

Even though I'm not really tall person (most certainly a small one -

165 cm :-) ), I wouldn't mind to stretch my tripdo to its full height

of about 2m and bring a ladder to stand on if this this is going to help.

2. I thought about a sunset image of alone rider siluette with sunset

on the background (or probably a number of horses grazing during

sunset/sunrize hours) ? What do you think ?

3. What kind of promotion images are desired for a recently opened

horse farm ?

Thanks in advance, Alex

I've done some "horse" stuff at state and county fairs. Most seem to like shots that have the camera lower than the horse, to make it look taller. One thing I'll mention is that horsey people are extremely particular about everything. They will drive you crazy.

Kent in SD

You NEED to know 4 things about horses and their thought process... as well as their resulting behaviour:

1) Horses "think" that if their head fits through a hole their whole body will go through the same hole... especially if they are trying to get away from you. Potentially very dangerous {for the horse and maybe for you or anyone else around} if you plan to be shooting in enclosed spaces.

2) Horses ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DO NOT LIKE "things" bigger than themselves. They judge that by whether that "thing" is above their eye level. {explaining why most horse shots are from low angles.] So much for working on ladders or with extended tripod heights at anything like close distances, say, less than 20 - 40 ft. from the horse (depending on the horse.) Something that MAY help is to work off the back of a truck or a platform that the horse is familiar with... or sit on a fence... as far as the horse will be concerned in those circumstances, you would usually be accepted as part of that already familiar landscape, but even then you have to keep any sudden movement to the absolute minimum - in fact nil.

3) They are especially sensitive to things in any kind of high position that flutter; wave; flash; blow in the wind; or move about. They will go into a "fight or flight" mode and could A] charge; or B] kick out; or both A] and B.] Horses also can, and will, BITE! {years ago I had a good friend that was bitten by a horse on the upper arm... the horse broke his arm in doing so}

4) Though I would never try it... I suspect that any kind of flash would so startle many of them that their resulting behaviour could not be predicted. I would stick exclusively to natural light for such a shoot.

I have owned horses and worked around horses over the years; and, considering their unpredictability, I wouldn't trust a horse thrust into unsual or unfamiliar circumstances as far as I could throw one..

Words to the wise...

Hunter

Not a pro, but we have horses (OK, my wife has horses) and I have photgraphed them a

lot. The best looking shots are taken with early morning and late afternoon, low angle

light, and with a long lens. Three-quarter shots, like new car shots, work well. Very good

if the horse appears to be looking at the camera (tough to do). Lately, I've gotten my very

best results using 300/2.8 on a 1.5x digital. My wife wants that shot as a desktop for her

Mac.

Also remember, horse people view horses like people, so faces and eyes are most

important (although some women horse owners are very found of "rump" shots). You

might think that scenic backgrounds are important in horse photos, but I have found they

are not. Shoot horses like you shoot people portraits. Sharp eyes (with a sparking in the

eyes for sure), wide apertures, and blurred backgrounds.

Good luck, and post some of your results.

"...considering their unpredictability, I wouldn't trust a horse thrust into unusual or unfamiliar circumstances as far as I could throw one..." I agree 100%

I have owned horses (working quarter horses, and rodeo stock) all my life. I shoot rodeos and horse riders all the time for portraits.

Horses, generally, if trained usually will be ok with a flash and extra stuff going on around them. However, always keep your eye on them and if you are near one talk to it - always talk, a horse, like most animals does not like to be surprised. Horses in particular like to hear your voice even if what you?re saying does not make sense. Stay calm, don?t move fast unless you?re trying to get out of or avoid a wreck.

Be sure to find out what they, the ranch/farm owner what's people to see in the stock. Photographing horses can be difficult especially the high-strung breeds like the thoroughbred. This breed in particular I would be very careful around!!!!!

Lastly, if you know what they want you to shoot, go get a couple of horse magazines or local horse trader/rider magazines and see what the pro's are doing.

Finalshot

In a college photography class I took eons ago, one of the instructors raised horses. His farm was a frequent class assignment. In a college photography glass I took eons ago, one of the instructuctors raised horses. A couple of things.

A couple of things.

Fill Flash generally won't annoy them. The sound of the camera doing multiple frames per second will! Horse do not like to be startled. Speak to the horse and approach from the side the first time. Make sure the horse can see you. If working with more than horse, have someone else with you to keep an eye on the other horses while your are looking in the viewfinder.

If possible have the horse has been exercised a bit before taking pictures. It will be more relaxed. Also the defintition of the muscles will be better and the perspiration will make the coat shine.

Horses have four legs (really). If taking from the side or 3/4 angles make sure you can see them all.

Thank you guys, wow, this is a bit overwhalming for me :-), it seems I'll have to learn through your great advises several times until getting it swallowed. My appreciation to this great forum.

I'm going to visit the location within few days, then most ceratinly I'll have more specific questions to ask.

Thanks once again to all of you meanwhile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll second the comment on talking to the horse... remember that a horse will only be able to focus it's eyes on anything further than 80cm away, everything closer is just colored mush to them... So always make sure the horse has actually SEEN you, do not sneak up from behind or below, and talk to it with a calm voice!<br>

Most horses (if in familiar surroundings) won't bother a lot about a flash going off, but they sure will bother about ladders and tripods and blowing stuff, or cracking sounds... <br><br>Normally the best position to photograph them is their normal height, at the same time this gives a rider a looking-down position, which makes him seem stronger and taller<div>00BpX9-22841484.jpg.1bb3c861f6b4305ceba24954b6ac5df6.jpg</div>

From a photographic point of view, you should view horse portraits just as that: portraits. This means shallow DOF, a nice catchlight in the eyes, avoid cluttered backgrounds, sharp focus eyes, etc.<p>Also, as horses tend to have a rather long nose, stay away from wide angle shots, or you might end up with that classical "Elk"-look :-)<p>Keep in mind that most horse people want a representation of their horse, not an interpretation, so ask before you do B&W (had to learn that one the hard way).<p><br>The best way to photograph riders is usually from your normal eye level. Try out different approaches, but never shoot from exactly in front. Try to always shoot at an angle, up to almost 90 degrees to the side. Most riders make their horse look in the direction in which they are turning, so try to be on the inside of their turn, not on the outside.<div>00BpgT-22843484.jpg.b91b48defa345fb03c818396ac9cd58b.jpg</div>

BTW, for starters it is always easyer to shoot moving horses in a normal trot (do you call it like that), walk and gallop (??) are much more difficult. You have to look out for the right moment (or just shoot away and hope you get something useful). With a bit of experience, you get the eye for the right moment.<div>00Bpgv-22843684.jpg.deefe5d79afe2e301e34b68919546797.jpg</div>