A Guide for the Abstracted

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Tate Britain web site ...

Strictly speaking, the word abstract means to separate or withdraw something from something else.

Abstract art is often seen as carrying a moral dimension, in that it can be seen to stand for virtues such as order, purity, simplicity and spirituality.

Expressionist artworks involved highly intense colour and non-naturalistic brushwork, often based on the artist’s inner feelings. Kandinsky saw his abstract paintings as an alternative pathway to spiritual reality.

I liked being reminded of the actual derivation of the word. The potential emotional/moral/spiritual dimension is something often neglected.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Here's a link to an "Expert Photography" article that lists elements that often contribute to an effective abstract photograph.

25 Awe-Inspiring Abstract Photography Examples to Inspire You

Thanks, Michael. These examples effectively portray certain aspects of abstract photography that deal with technique and choice of subject and composition. One observation is, the author tends to focus on the simplicity, symmetry and calmness aspects of abstract imagery. However I think, abstracts can be complex, layered, mind boggling/psychedelic, restless and your own work is evidence of that.

• Like 1

Rather banal and superfluous to my mind. It says, or tells nothing....scribbling, is the thought that comes to mind.

Hey, everyone to their own.

The Emperor without clothes.

Two weavers who promise an Emperor new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions

stupid, or incompetent...

Rather banal and superfluous to my mind. It says, or tells nothing....scribbling, is the thought that comes to mind.

Hey, everyone to their own.

The Emperor without clothes.

Two weavers who promise an Emperor new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions

stupid, or incompetent...

Banal and superfluous? Maybe the descriptions of abstract elements and the use of photographic examples might be helpful to some?

Indeed.

Sort of mind blowing to see fairies at the bottom of garden )) But to be fair, some abstract art is interesting; only if it masterfully done, by those of talent.

But of course you can say that about all Art. However, Abstract Art is very open to those who would exploit Art for the coins-regardless of the Art.

They cloak it with verbosity for the masses.

Edited by Allen Herbert

"Well, seems like you have deleted your "Jesus on the cross is a fantasy" comment. But here's still my response to that" Phil.

I have not deleted anything neither have I the means to do so.

Matthew 27:40 Matthew 27:40

40 and saying: “You who would throw down the temple and build it in three days,a save yourself! If you are a son of God, come down off the torture stake!” Really, get your facts together.

Stake, not cross.

Matthew 27:40 Matthew 27:40

40 and saying: “You who would throw down the temple and build it in three days,a save yourself! If you are a son of God, come down off the torture stake!” Really, get your facts together.

Stake, not cross.

Matthew according to Jehovah's witnesses... come on.

Every Bible I've ever seen has "CROSS." not torture stake.

Thanks, Michael. These examples effectively portray certain aspects of abstract photography that deal with technique and choice of subject and composition. One observation is, the author tends to focus on the simplicity, symmetry and calmness aspects of abstract imagery. However I think, abstracts can be complex, layered, mind boggling/psychedelic, restless and your own work is evidence of that.

Supriyo, I'm often drawn to abstracts that trade on simplicity. But I don't produce too many of this description. Most of mine tend to be as you mentioned.

Indeed.

Sort of mind blowing to see fairies at the bottom of garden )) But to be fair, some abstract art is interesting; only if it masterfully done, by those of talent.

But of course you can say that about all Art. However, Abstract Art is very open to those who would exploit Art for the coins-regardless of the Art.

They cloak it with verbosity for the masses.

Kant once stated that percepts without concepts are empty, and concepts without percepts are blind. Try applying this to what I quoted. And I might add that you have a tendency toward overstatement, as your pronouncement about abstract shows.

Two things I particularly like about abstract photography - one, pretty much anyone can do it, and two, it's interesting to get different perceptions of what people see. I once did a series of abstracts based on water drops (I dropped marbles into colored water, and snapped the resulting splashes). I enjoyed looking at the results, and picking non-abstract figures from them. I saw several figures in this one (one of which might receive an R-rating).

1163600668_Splash4.thumb.jpg.33bc43f5a389012f1437c3a821993f87.jpg

• Like 1

“The romantics were prompted to seek exotic subjects and to travel to far off places. They failed to realize that, though the transcendental must involve the strange and unfamiliar, not everything strange or unfamiliar is transcendental.”

― Mark Rothko

[ATTACH=full]1306215[/ATTACH]

A very profound communication, Phil. I can't thank you enough for how you helped me see better.

My best always,

michael

• Like 1

There we go.

The emperor with out new clothes.

There we go " - one, pretty much anyone can do it,

A scribble, anyone can do it.

A scribble-what else is there to say. Okay, a scribble.

There is a fairy tale called "The Emperor's New Clothes." In the story the Emperor is a vain man and always wants the newest fashions. A couple of swindlers convince him that the clothes they are making him are of such fine quality that only the most elevated people can see them. He can't admit that he's not the most elevated person, so he wears the clothes in the palace, and everyone bows down and says what a fine set of clothes he has because they are afraid to contradict the Emperor. Then he goes out and leads a parade to show off his new clothes to the people (lack of foresight on his part, unless he thinks all his people are highly elevated.) Everyone pretends to admire the clothes except one little boy who yells out "But the Emperor has no clothes." The moral is that because of pretentiousness and social hypocricy p