I am quite annoyed by Outdoor Photographer magazine. I subscribed

from overseas in March and haven't received an issue yet. I am

incontact with their manager and opted to cancel my subscription and

a full refund of my subscription fee.

Are there any good UK- based magazines without being jammed with

publicity that I can subscribe to? I am interested in learning photo

techniques, the latest developments in the industry and product

reviews. I am mainly using a digital SLR and would like a digital SLR

orientated magazine. Thanks for your suggestions!

I would agree with Ellis' suggestions. Don't limit yourself to digital-only magazines unless you are looking for camera specific tips. Many magazines cover both digital and film, and really, there are many techniques that are not dependent on the recording medium.

- Randy

Most of the UK magazines with the content you want are full of ads -which is unsurprising since they are effectively subsidised by equipment advertising revenue. A vast majority of all the equipment articles are on digital because thats what people are advertising and buying. Nevertheless, the best source of what you say you want in my view is online and free at www.dpreview.com which has decent reviews, the ability to tailor your information searches, and a lot of actual user feedback which is worth a lot. If you top this up with this site and occasional visits to Luminous Landscape you should keep on top of things.

I agree with others that the US Outdoor Photographer magazine (as opposed to the UK Outdoor Photography mag) is pretty dreadful- awful gaudy photography and poor content. The UK mag is better but is frankly running out of steam now

I disagree with you to a degree.The reason that I buy photography monthly is because it has loads of useful photography tips for both the digital and film photographer.It also does not have too many adverts also!

Dpreview is a good site to check out but also check out DCVIEWS.DCVIEWS collates news articles and reviews from many sites other than itself and is a good place to visit first!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yup, we're high and drunk 24/7, just like your mom. i actually got some good photos of her last night. im surprised they came out so good since i dont know anything about photography.

look at an actual copy of our magazine before making any judgements. our magazine is setup for photographers who cant express themselves in their commercial work, photographers who cant get their story published in mainstream mags, photographers who spend their days on the street shooting and their nights in the darkroom and have no time for much else.

its one thing to document life around you, but its another thing to document yourself. maybe one day im drunk, maybe one day im at the beach, maybe one day im in new york, maybe one day im in los angeles. who cares.

your criticisms of hamburger eyes remind me of the jeers hurled at the rites of spring and

dylan's first performance backed by an amplified band - lots of jealousy & ignorance. while

the tools are not new (35mm b&w film), the impetus, presentation,,,and content are

innovative enough to have YOU all in a dither.

Bob Dylan, The Band, Shea Stadium, I was just a kid but my cousin took me, he knew it was going to be insane and loved it, the next best thing to James Brown at the Apollo, but I was way too young to go in there with him. The night was totally out of control, almost as much as the Rangers games he took me to.

Ted Pushinsky is a great photographer, a while back my friend Danny Nolan, a junkyard dog of a photographer, showed me a book of Ted's he found at a used book store, great stuff.

Hamburger Eyes is still almost the only (Nueva Luz fits in, and some magazine I found in Sicily) magazine of truly creative work instead of watered down commercial stuff for the art world. Aperture has something worth looking at every year or two, and Blind Spot, when they get off their NYC gallery hipper-than-thou trip, can have a few interesting pix. But for page-to-page inspiration, it's HE.

"...our magazine is setup for photographers who cant express themselves in their commercial work, photographers who cant get their story published in mainstream mags, photographers who spend their days on the street shooting and their nights in the darkroom and have no time for much else..."

and I have to say, the mag does exactly that exquisitely. It shows thru very much that the photography within the pages of the two issues that I have that these pics are that particular photographers "love".........not their job. Having an actual job in photography, having to bend to the whim of the client, must be a real pain in the ass if you ask me..........and an outlet like HE must be a welcome release for them.

As a reader/viewer of the mag I get to see some of the most "free" photography in print.

btw Ray........you should add to that list of photogs "us" poor slobs imprisoned in "the day job" (that has nothing to do with photography) and can't wait to get home to pound the streets with our cams. There's a lot of us out here.

Also, B&W film is great..........ever thought of expanding that into digital (color especially)? Think you might be surprised at what gets presented to you. Not meaning me...I have a way to go...but I think a lot of B&W film photographers who have gone digital have found a new love in color with them.......I know I have.....just a thought.

I think alot of you are missing the point here and that is, as i understand it:

1. hamburger eyes is an alternative to the majority of photo magazines out there.

2. if you dont like it dont buy it.

3. if you dont like it, who cares!

4. At least Ray and his crew got off their asses and put something out there and continue

to do so. time and time again. Inspiring to me at least.

5. I met the dude (Ray) in san fran on a trip out there last year, Ray,s super friendly and

passionate about what he does and the photographers that contribute to hamburger eyes.

What other magazine guys would meet a complete stranger, check out their photos and

want to just hangout. and also give a list of peeps and places to check out in their city??

6. For me its like this, for those of you who skate or skated, remember watchin a skate

video and as your getting to end of it ....you already have your board in hand ready to

just go skate, you wanna skate any where... your just so stoked at what you enjoy. well

thats hamburger eyes for me, flick through an issue and im stoked on photography and

have to get out their with my leica and photograph stuff, dont matter if the rolls any good,

just need to enjoy that time, just me , my camera and enjoying what i love.

surely thats why most of us got into photography in the first place, because we enjoy it?

sorry think im better at taking pictures than writing, but hopefully you get my point.

dan boulton

• 1 month later...

<i>"Are there any good UK- based magazines without being jammed with publicity that I can subscribe to? I am interested in learning photo techniques, the latest developments in the industry and product reviews. I am mainly using a digital SLR and would like a digital SLR orientated magazine. Thanks for your suggestions!"</i>

<p>

<i>Hamburger Eyes</i> fails on all counts when you get back to the point of this thread. It may be neat, and trendy, young, drunk, hip, and oh so low budget and trashy, but it doesn't answer the question. Long live <i>HE</i>!