A good macro lens for wedding rings?

michael_krouskop

<p>You can get a used 55mm f2.8 AF if you need to be really economical. It will work GREAT.</p>

<p>Or you can get a newer 60mm AF-D or AF-S, they are super, and for something like a wedding ring or detail shot of something that isn't moving, you don't need, imho, the greater working distance of the 105, although if I needed one and had the budget, I'd go right for the 105.</p>

<p>To add a cheaper suggestion: the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro gets good reviews, and I've been happy with mine. The VR on the 105 micro is probably little help for macro shots (unlike the new Canon 100mm), but it's still useful when doubling as a portrait lens. I went for 90mm to plug the gap between my 50mm and 135mm - I decided I don't need an 85mm f/1.4 just now - but you might want to combine your macro lens with another gap in your lens collection. If you really want working distance, the 150mm Sigma macro has also had reasonable reviews; the 200mm Nikkor is allegedly very sharp, but the bokeh probably means it's a one-trick pony. Bear in mind that short macro lenses may make lighting difficult - although it's better on a crop sensor than full frame. The Tamron's very light, if you want to have it in a pocket while wandering around with a more general-purpose lens on the camera.</p>

<p>I'll second the recommendation for the Tamron AF macro 90mm f/2.8. Apart from the more expensive 180mm Tamron, it's the only lens mentioned here that is truly a macro lens, in that it focuses to 1:1 without the need for extension tubes or adapters. The optical quality is superb, and it makes an excellent portrait lens as well.</p>

<p>I can't speak for the AF Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8, but the MF AiS version is also readily available used for not much money and delivers terrific sharpness and contrast. However it only focuses to 1:2, so if you want to fill the frame with a wedding ring you'll need to budget for an extension tube as well. </p>

<p>For quick shots of embraced hands, you may want to look into a micro with vibration reduction, like the 85 or 105mm.</p>

<p>While I'm not a fan boy for the most pricey or technology advanced, being able to hand hold in lower light with a wide aperture would be a real plus. There is also a better chance of getting non-posed shot without the aid of a speed light or tripod.</p>