aslan_ivo

Maybe i've just become used to using Rodinal in 20-25mm quantities

to develop a couple of rolls of film at at time, but recently I've

decided to try out Diafine, and the can instructions say I should

may 3 qts of the stuff, add another qt to make a gallon of working

solution...A GALLON! Wow, that's like 8-10rolls of film & more than

I shoot in a month. Is there a better way to mix up some diafine

which can be used at lesser increments? (hopefully nothing which

will require an electronic scale) How long will this stuff keep?

Incidentally, what's the conventional wisdom about using the

refridgerator to keep chemicals fresh -- like film/paper developer,

even fixer?

accufine and diafine keep for months at room temp once they're mixed. Some other developers don't keep so well. The diafine/accufine idea is that you mix a gallon once every few months. Diafine is re-usable, I've done many, many rolls with one gallon. Info for re-use of accufine can be found at <A HREF="http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005Z0O">this web page</A>

"How long will this stuff keep? "

I just pitched a batch of diafine that had been going for a year. Age doesn't seem to have any effect on it. Eventually you end up with not enough batch A to cover the film since some naturally stays on the film when you poor it back into the bottle. Mix up a new batch when you can't cover the film any more, but other than that reuse as often and as much as you like.

"Can you mix up a partial batch?

I was just down at the camera store, and most of their developers (including Diafine, which I've never used) were only in the 1-gallon sizes..."

Not a good idea, and in the case of Diafine, why would you want to? The mixed developer doesn't go bad. Mix up the gallon and reserve 1 quart as your working stock. Replenish as directed from the remaining 3 quarts. Yes it's enough Diafine to last a lifetime, but it's cheaper from Adorama or B&H than buying 2 x 1 quart packages.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Acufine, and WOW! Now I know what they mean about Rodinal being grainy. BUT I have gotten so used to chucking out the used developer that I did it with the Acufine, instead of returning it to the bottle. Oh well, there goes $1.50.

Do I really need to replenish the Acufine?