A few to many New Raters Josh?

mrstubbs

Yikes.

Anthony, read all of the threads related to the ratings system just during the past week. You don't need to go back to ancient history, just the past week, 'cause it's the same thing time after time.

Many folks were complaining that there weren't *enough* ratings. So, being a good little monkey boy, I jumped paws-first into the ratings queue this weekend and rated more than 500 photos. I did my part to build up the numbers.

But guess what? The average for my total ratings given is slightly under 4/4. You know why? Because there aren't that many good photos in the queue. Out of hundreds of photos I saw only a tiny handful good enough to merit a 6 in either category (originality or aesthetics). Surprisingly few even merited a 5.

So, do you think I made a few hundred photo.netters happy?

Probably not.

I keep saying this but I'll say it again, because it's the same advice I give myself almost every time I pick up a camera: Make better photographs.

Do you really believe there's some vast conspiracy of dimwits trying to ruin photography, who don't recognize a really good photo when they see one?

After this weekend's ratings marathon I'm more inclined there's a vast conspiracy of mediocre photographers trying to make my eyes bleed from looking at bad photos.

Okay, no I'm not. I still love photography. In fact, after drinking some coffee, I'm gonna go rate a few hundred more. It may be an exercise in tough love, but it's still love.

I think Anthony is bringing attention to the fact that 4 of the ratings have come from new members, which can be an indication that they are bogus accounts.

In this case, they don't look like they are. But I will keep an eye on the critique forum and see if I notice any other sketchy activity.

Hi Josh. :)

Lex! Marshall! Get a life...and please ...stop trying to anal ise everything you read here.

If I drop a note to Josh..re anything...then you can probably assume..he knows what i'm talking about...and if he doesn't...he'll ask.

And if you are both so keen to be heard and recocgnised...cough up the 25 bucks...or i'll get my light saber out...an' pic a fight wid ya!

Damned bureaucrats...everywhere I go! :)

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're being tongue-in-cheek with your comment to me to get a life. (If not it's pretty obnoxious.) I can assure you that I'm neither particularly bureaucratic or anal (my wife would laugh her head off at the idea of me being anal).

I have paid for membership in the past. I may do so again in the future. For a little while management was making it seem like membership was going to change significantly, but that's a whole different topic.