sending it to a service center, or 2)purchasing a sensor cleaning kit? Since

the sensor is covered with glass, couldn't a VERY soft lens cleaning brush do

the trick? What's the danger here? I could see maybe being a bit more

cautious if using some household glass cleaning agents on it. One might streak

it or something. But just a swipe or two with this soft brush? I won't do

this til I get some feedback. But would sure like to hear from anyone who has

cleaned theirs off with some "around the house" process. $15 to $25 and more,

seems like a steep price to me. But if that's what's necessary, I'll do it

too. I've tried blowing the dust off, but several larger "dusts" still remain.

Thanks

I use the sensor brush after a good blow from the rocket blower.

The danger is mostly contamination, if there is any tiny grain of hard mineral on the anti-alias filter that you drag across you will damage the top coating, might even scratch the glass. Thus the use of the blower.

I used the wet method once but it caused more problems than it solved, my personal recommendation is to stay with a blower and brush unless you get heavy hard to remove contamination.

Don't use any old brush as they can have residues on that will leave streaky marks on the filter.

Me, as in these articles http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/sensorclean.html and http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/sensor_cleaning_ii.html

Basically using lens tissue, a makeup brush, a blower buld, pieces of cut up credit card and some alcohol.

I should add that I've had around 20 years of experience cleaning scientific and laser optics, so I have a reasonably good "feel" for what (and what not) to do. For an absolute novice, spending a little money for a commercial product might not be a bad idea and could save you money in the long run. You only have to screw things up once for it to get expensive.

I use vodka--ingested, not applied, a pair of soccer goalie gloves for a sensitive feel(use the graphite impregnated ones from Adidas), and a blowtorch for the hard to remove crud.Failing that, or total immersion of the camera in hydrochloric acid, I use a rocket blower, and the usual commercial wet cleaner when necessary(copper hill). It's really not that hard...

How about finishing things off with a Wet/Dry Vac. Just for those hard to reach places. You're hilarious Joel. Thanks for that.

I actually just cleaned my sensor with a carefully cleaned(to remove any lingering dust) camera lens brush--dry. One swipe and DONE. This was what I'd hope would do the job before posting this question here. Anyway, it's now clean and free of any (visable and camera tested) dust particles.

How about a successful $0. Maybe I just lucked out. I'm in no hurry to do again just to prove to myself that I found the best NO-cost way of doing things. But it did cost me $0, and it did do the job. I would obviously be very careful the next time, just as I was this time. But...why pay anything if this works. Though there are many cautions against doing what I did, I haven't read of anyone who has ruined their sensors by using any sort of DIY processes. Have you?