A day out with the Olympus Mju II and Fuji 800

<p>Mostly inspired by Rick Drawbridge's post about <a href="../modern-film-cameras-forum/00YT5L">his Mju II</a>, I decided to give this baby its first outing since it was given to me several months ago. Because most of my shots were going to be indoors I loaded it with a roll of Fuji Pro 800Z. I got a chance to process & scan the film today at a local lab (which only does JPEGs but whatever).</p>

<p>Out of 36 frames I was happy with about 15. The final cut was 12 which you can see on <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdghantous/sets/72157626420062935/">Flickr</a>. Not a bad ratio, I think (I'd be happy with 10%). It goes to show that if you take your time, you will end up with a high percentage of good or passable frames.</p>

<p>I love the Mju II. The only realistic addition that I'd make to the camera would be the option to select ISO. Aperture priority AE would have been nice, too. That way I'd know whether or not as shot was taken wide-open or not. The lens seems amazingly good, but I don't actually know what its wide-open performance is. IMHO it has a better lens than the XA-1.</p><div>00YbTO-350337584.jpeg.98d886683012973cd1f3568aaa8d592d.jpeg</div>

<p>You can use foil + tape on the DX pins to force the ISO. I have two of these, one set for ISO 400 (works well for full sun ... f/11 @ 1/1000s) and the other set for ISO 1600. I bulk load and develop ISO 100 and 400 films for a +2 push. Manual over-rides would be nice but considering the lens and size you can't complain.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The only realistic addition that I'd make to the camera would be the option to select ISO. Aperture priority AE would have been nice, too.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For that you need a Contax T/T2/T3, Leica Minilux/CM or the like.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What has the government done with our traditional exit signs?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apparently this new, wordless sign is done for the sake of PC (no English please) or in view of prevalent illiteracy. Take your pick.</p>

<p>Well done, <strong>Karim</strong>, that's an interesting collection you have on Flickr. I'm just amazed by what the little camera can do and I'd agree with you about the lens being better than it's rangefinder stablemate. Being unable to change the ISO doesn't worry me as it's really not something I do very often. Nice series, many thanks.</p>

<p>BTW, that's <em>not</em> an "Exit" sign. It's a piece of modern art depicting an alien entering his Mother Ship. In a hurry. As you say, it's amazing what a government will spend money on...</p>

<p>Foil seems like a good solution for DX override, but a simple button on the camera would be better. I might consider a Minilux just for the fun of it.</p>

<p>Rick, you're probably right. The truth is out - full stop!</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that this camera just loves to fire the flash, even in broad daylight. I have to remember to turn the damned thing off every time I activate the camera. I guess it's not a huge deal in the end.</p>