A Day Out With The Metra

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by kmac, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Stuart, yes it was quite satisfying, my first go at it, it worked and I learned a great deal from the experience. Mind you, the needle was bashing up against the meter's housing before I adjusted the power of the cell down to where it should be. I don't know which gave me the bigger thrill, the needle going off the scale and bashing against the wall, or when I finally got the needle to go further than just half way up the scale

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. Thanks for posting Rick. The film was FP4 dunked in Adox Rodinal 1:50 15mins. I think the recommended 15 mins was a bit long, the negs seemed too dense and grainy for my liking. I did notice though that it suited the indoor flash shots I took, no big grain that I could see, and thinner negs. I used Rodinal this time because it was handy, but I'll be using 1:1 ID11 in future when I mix a fresh lot, it's the brew I'm used to for FP4

3. Yes, for sure. For negative films there is latitude, but for slides you need close to on the spot exposure.

4. When it sees the light of day, I'll try the new Ektachrome as a guinea pig in the Metra JD. In the meantime I'm planning a "Part Two" for the thread. I have a new C41 kit ready to be mixed for some negative film which I'll expose this weekend coming

5. Well It took a while but I'm back with some color images as part two of this thread. The color session wasn't terribly successful because of old color developer, it wasn't exhausted but just a little too old, and my focusing was a little off in some shots. The light meter performed well however through trial and error I discovered the meter's front cover with the little slot in it really needs to be down in bright sunlight. With the cover up, negatives were 2 -3 stops overexposed with dire loss of color, particularly reds and greens

Photoshop came to the rescue

(b) Christmas Tree copy.jpg

Mike Gammill and James Bryant like this.
  6. (a) Fancy colored wall 1.jpg

Mike Gammill likes this.
  7. (c) Keep Going Door.jpg

James Bryant likes this.
  8. The film was Kodak Pro Image 100 for all images

(f) Yellow Red Bowser copy.jpg

Mike Gammill and James Bryant like this.
  9. Good true colour, despite the developer issues. Those little slotted doors over the selenium cells were designed to create maximum confusion, from my experience with similar meters. Thanks for the post; it was all a worthwhile project.

10. You won't believe it but the bottom fell out of the brown bottle of the freshly mixed color developer - literally. Talk about bad luck, one liter of developer all over the sink after only two rolls of film, just before I was ready to do the film from the Metra. I put it down to the warm up water heating up too quickly, and the glass bottle couldn't handle it

I had a Digibase C41 kit still in my cubby hole of chemicals. The Digibase had been divided in half years ago, so I decided to risk all and use the remaining stock solutions for the Pro Image 100. I swear, part C of the developer was pitch black, and permanently stained anything it got onto, even the marbles I used to remove air were neatly stained black and no ordinary cleaning would get it off

And yet, this old developer worked fine on a test roll of Fujifilm 100 I put through a never used Olympus Zoom 80 P&S. Nevertheless and throwing caution to the wind, I developed the Pro Image 100 from the Metra and got a reasonable processed film which maybe was spoiled more by overexposure from the camera than any effects an old developer would have on it. I must say though, using old developer, especially if it's been divided, is very risky. I've divided both powder and liquid, and I won't be doing it again. not under any circumstances

Sure Rick, selenium cell doors are brain teasing, however I'll keep the Metra's light meter cover closed from now on, and only open it in deep shadow

11. paul ron

paul ron NYC

built like tanks! mamiya's reputation for quality stems from this era of over built to last forever.

nice restoration. your grand children will certainly appreciate the quality compared to the toys we see today.