A Day at the Beach

ds_meador

<p>I went to the beach yesterday (Torres, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil) and didn't even take a camera. I just went to enjoy the day. This did bring a question to mind though. My daughter has very fair skin, quite pale. With my Canon A590IS I have a lot of problems with her skin overexposing. I'm planning to get a Canon XSI soon. Will the DSLR be better in this regard? Do I need to buy some type of filter to use to reduce this?<br>

Any advice will be very appreciated.<br>

Thanks - DS Meador</p>

<p>Any DSLR will definitely be better at this and yes, you could buy a CPL (circular polarizing) filter which - among aother things - would help with you daughter's skin.<br>

Or you could just dial down the exposure compensation on your current camera after seeing the washed-out skin.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Jean</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response. Until I get the XSI, I'll try the exposure adjustments. I have found that spot metering helps some, but not always. Also, I'll look for some online sources to learn more about filters and their use.<br>

Again, thanks!<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>I've never cared for skin tones resulting from using a polarizer. When the filter is oriented for maximum saturation, you lose much of the surface reflection from the skin and sometimes get a deeper and ruddier color resembling a mild sunburn. So if you're going to use it, chimp on it with various filter angles.</p>