A Crime of Opportunity

<p>Opportunity or my own stupidity? Yesterday, near Union Sq. (NYC) ,I left my car windows open, and turned my back for less than 30 seconds. During which time my knapsack got grabbed by persons unknown. The contents was quite a haul for someone. All of my digital cameras are gone! My beloved Nikon D50, and my Panasonic Lumix P&S. Plus my lens kit, a 24,35,105. All were 70's Nikkors that I've owned since new. The cards were both filled with images, which seems to be the part that hurts most. The thief (thieves) also got my GPS, all of my eyeglasses, all of my house and other car keys. Plus my late father's wrist watch, which I carried for luck.</p>

<p>The worse news is I was there to talk someone about work. I lost my day job in August, when my employers filed chapter 11. So now I'm broke and digital camera-less. The reason I'm posting is as a warning to others. I wouldn't want anyone to experience the pain I'm going through.</p>

<p>I really hate to hear that. This is one of the reasons I looked into adding insurance coverage for my photography gear to my insurance policy. It's only about $60 or so per year. Definitely something to consider for the future. Best of luck finding work.</p>

<p>Steve, I'm very sorry to hear that. I once lost everything due to an illness, and I mean everything, so I understand what it's like. Losing every photo I had, my kids keepsakes and graduation certificates, that was the worst part. Losing my life's work as an artist and having to start all over again was not fun either. But humans are wonderfully resilient. Now, 20 years later, I lead a different life and think differently. Possessions aren't that important. Money isn't that important. Shoot, you can always get more money. You did the right thing venting some of the pain and anger. I feel the most important things in my life are my health and my family's health. If you are doing OK in that regard, then you're still a rich man.</p>

<p>First off, I am sympathetic to your loss. I can imagine how you feel. But secondly, I was amazed by what was in a "knapsack." If ever there was a description of "having all your eggs in one basket," that certainly is it.</p>

<p>More often than not, these events can turn into new opportunities, and I hope that is how this one works out for you. Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=251971">Steve Levine</a> , Oct 04, 2012; 09:03 a.m.<br>

The Buick dealer can cut me a key from the VIN number. and I will have to shoot the autumn color with film.This could be my destiny?<br>

As Bogart's character in "The African Queen" says to Kate Hepburn. "Ain't nothing so bad, that it can't be worse".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or as I-gor says in <em>Young Frankenstein</em>, "Could be worse. Could be raining.". Followed by lightning, and rain. :)</p>

<p>When I was young and in the US Navy I believed in the camaraderie of the military. As such I had a microscope, a Nikon N2000 camera, and the negative of a priceless, perfectly-timed shot of a missile launch all stolen from me. The only one that really rankles me today is the negative. :)</p>

<p>For Fall, film is where the fun is, with Ektar. While it can't replace your losses, if you want, I can send you free of charge a Nikon-mount 28mm lens and a P&S 35mm film camera. Just send me a message if you'd like them.</p>

<p>Steve -</p>

<p>Sorry to hear this happened to you.</p>

<p>It really doesn't take long for them to see something and grab it / dissappear. A neighbor of ours left her purse in the car one day a few weeks ago - while it was parked in her garage. She ran into her house to get something she forgot - didn't think anything of it - was gone all of 2 minutes - came out and purse was gone.</p>

<p>We found it - empty of course - on a path about 100 feet from her house - police took prints - but are doubtful that they will get anything. They suspect it was a kid who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I don't really want to hijack the thread, but when people find a camera and GPS in one bag, they might try to see if you have any more at home. I hope not, but to confuse anybody who may want to steal my GPS, when they set it to take them home, mine is set to the local Police Station.<br>

Good luck Steve.</p>

<p>That's an interesting idea Peter. Not that I'm going to follow it, since every once in a while I loan my GPS to someone and I don't want them to get the wrong idea. </p>

<p>Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Steve. Do you have homeowners insurance that would cover some of this? I used that once in the past when I had my car broken into and some things stolen.</p>

<p>I agree with Les: "Steve: Your automobile insurance or your homeowners policy (or both) should cover this."<br>

The pack was IN the car, that constitutes 'fire and theft'. You should get total reinbursement at current value.</p>

<p>As soon as you earn your first dollar from photography the insurance companies consider you to be an entirely different type of photographer. In their eyes, photographing a car show at Pebble Beach is no different than photographing war combat, and they charge accordingly. </p>

<p>Welcome to New York.<br />When I was in film school at NYU, the guy who taught the sound class had a great story.<br />One day he was on a shoot in Times Square. Cameraman had set down two magazines of film (they're each about the size of a briefcase) behind the camera. Turned around a minute later and they were gone and nowhere in sight. It was just the value of the magazines and film stock -- this was about three-quarters of a day's work by a multi-person union film crew, actors and producers. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars minimum.<br />They kept on shooting the rest of the day. The next morning at the dailies they saw somebody walking across the background of the shot -- a homeless man carrying a Panavision film magazine under each arm!<br />Film crew took the footage to the cops, who recognized the homeless man and had the stolen property recovered in about an hour.<br />I hope you have the same kind of luck.</p>

<p>Steve, sorry to hear you had a bad day or two or three...wow, hang in there. Hope some good stuff happens soon to balance this all out.</p>

<p>I had my Canon 35mm film camera, bag, nice flash, several rolls of film with shots of my mom with my kids, all stolen at a church during a Christmas program back in the 90's. I guess whoever stole it was in a bad state to feel the need to do that there at that time. Santa was even there while this happened! Merry Christmas and good cheer, good will to all men. I'm sure they made Santa's Naughty List that year for sure. I can laugh about it now, but I was pretty ticked and bummed at the time.</p>

<p>Hang in there, life has a way of getting better. </p>

Cheers, Mark

First off, sorry for your bad luck Steve.

Second, for those saying insurance will cover it, my experience is it 100% will not, an open car window means you are not

considered, by the insurance company, to have taken enough care to prevent the theft, second with no forced entry there

is no "proof" as required by most insurance companies to consider a claim.

<p>Wow what a sad story. When it rain it pours, I hope you get that job maybe you can replace all of those things but some things might be irreplaceable. This was definately a crime of opportunity, probably some down-and-out guy who just happened to be walking by and decided to take a chance. There are allot of homeless and unemployed people whose sole purpose is to see what they can steal on a given day.<br>

I know it's too late now, but in NYC some photographers use to store their equipment in different rooms and/or different closets in their apartments. That minimized the chance of all their gear getting stolen during a break in. Also never but never store keys anywhere but your pants pockets. </p>

<p>Steve, you've gotten some good advice, and I wish you the best. I've been broke and down and out before, but then crossed paths with new opportunities, and things are better than ever. You certainly should check with your insurance companies for recourse and be persistent, but for others sake, I want to say that I think auto insurance covers only things that are a part of the car (but home insurance might cover a purse stolen with the car in the garage), and regular home owners insurance doesn't cover items that are not at home. For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but for anyone with an investment in cameras they carry out and about, they need Personal Articles Insurance. It is through my home and auto insurance company. Unlike home owners insurance, you have to list the specific items to be covered and only those are covered at the value you indicate. My policy has our wedding rings and then mainly just my most expensive camera gear. I pay a $160 a year premium, and best of all, there is no deductible.</p>

<p>I knew a photog who was on the sidelines at the Rose Bowl game. He put down his camera bag and somebody stole it. With how many people watching?<br>

I once left a Leica M2R in a restroom. Okay, I imbibed a little in those days gone by. I got the camera back. Not to be believed.<br>

I worked in Nueva Jork for one year as a photog and was told do not leave a $5 raincoat in your car. It wil get stolen.</p>

<p>Dear Steve,<br>

I sympathize with your loss and sincerely hope that you recover from this tragedy. Would you be interested in a Nikon F90x mounted with a Nikon 50mm f1.8 series E manual focus lens? I will be happy to send it via US mail. </p>