a couple questions regrading the 420 EX and the off shoe cord.

canon man

There appears to be two auto focus assist lights inside the panel on

the 420EX. One apperas to be vertical the other is horizontal. On

mine only the right hand side is lighting up. This is the one with

vertical lines in it. Should both lamps light up? Could somebody

check there own and see? The closest shop with this flash to me is

about 35 miles North.

Also the Canon Off Shoe Cord 2 is said not to work with the 630. This

is a shame because the other camera is a 630! The instruction sheet

states that it will work with the T90/300TL combo, it even makes a

reference to use it with the 650 and the 620. But it states that it

will not work with the600/630 or the RT. Why?

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel:

I wondered about the 420EX focus lamps when I first got it, but realised that they are calibrated to work with the 7 focus points. The vertical light works with the vertical focus points, and the horizontal with the horizontal points. If you slam the camera into the "green" mode, both lamps light because focus point selection is automatic.

Ah haa! Good, now I know it works properly. I don't have a manual for it. I got it used with a stroboframe, and the off shoe ecamera cord. It also came with a soft box which I figure to be worthless. It took 30 minutes to get the glue residue off left by the velcro strips. Here is the trick I learned years ago. machine oil. It breaks down glue. that way you can rub it off. and rub and rub and rub. after all is said and done I use Alcohol to break down the oil.

THANKS.

I don't know about the 420EX's AF assist light so I'll let someone else have a go at that.

The 600/630/RT has a problem with A-TTL when using the OCSC2. It often selects an aperture that is too small for the situation. However, the 600/630/RT works fine with the OCSC2 (or even the original OCSC) when the flash is in straight TTL mode. So any mode that you use that forces TTL instead of A-TTL will work.

Different EOS camera and flash combinations revert to TTL in different modes & I'm not sure what mode does what with the 630 & 420EX, but the LCD on the flash should tell you. Tv or Av might work. In any case, I do know that A-TTL is disabled in favor of TTL any time the camera is in manual mode, so that's what I would use.

I will use the 300EZ on the 630. Until getting the 420EX I was using the 300EZ on the elan7. I do most of my flash work in manual with the 630. The 300EZ is also pretty limited concerning options! I do have Second Curtain Sync, but that would be it! The 630 isn't capable of much, flash wise any way.

I had considered using the softboz on the 300EZ but it would end up covering the sensor. The reason I considered it was the fact that the 300EZ does not bounce. But that is also the reason for wanting to use the off shoe cord with the 630. That way I can use the 300EZ on the stroboframe and kick the flash off to the side position and then it would be way off center from the lens. My hope is that it will bring some depth to the lighting by casting the light to the side of the subject. I will experiment with it to see if it will work.

I am aware of how well WD40 works for tape residue. I used it for years on Plastering jobs to remove tape residue from windows. The tape we use is very sticky as it has to stay attached while being soaking wet. You use alot of water in plastering!In fact on 95 degree+ days we have to hose walls in front of the color spreaders. If you don't it will cure immediately after it is spread on the wall. Tis means you can't work it smooth and it also creates joints. I just don't spray oil any where near my camera gear. With the sewing machine/gun oil, I can drop it on and work it in wit ha Qtip. For most other applications I use WD40.