a couple of shots with a very old brass B&L

<p>just about a lot of those lenses from that time are on the soft side, but yet there were a few tack sharp , need to do some shooting with 4x5 and a 6x9 back on it .<br>

Have one Busch Deteciv apalant # 3 a focus 7" also A Rapid Apalant # 2 Series D F-8 Emil Busch<br>

the last one is a Busch Bis-Telar Ser.II F-7 no.2 focal=270. they do need a work out sounds like a trip in the future nice subject matter on these fotos</p>

<p>While the images are soft, remember the lens dates to the period when some people felt photography should be more painterly. Depending on the subject of the photograph you should be able to render some soft romantic style images of lakes with boats and ladies with parasols. You might try the shots in color as you could find some images looking like a Monet painting. A sharp image can spoil the emotional look to the subject. I suggest a long period of using it and finding the best subjects to fit that softness to the photos.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

<p>I wanna see more pictures taken with this lens! Mathew is right about photography of that era and art. I've seen silent movies on TCM that looked like moving paintings. One of those silent movies was in color. No one has surpassed what photographers and cinematographers were doing a hundred years ago. They knew what they were doing just as professional photographers (me not included) of today know what they are doing. My two bits is, photography means getting the best out of whatever equipment you are using at the time. It's a lot more fun than worrying about what is the latest/best thing out there. When your equipment is pushed to the limit and still does not work, then go for something else. Many cameras being used are not being used to fullest potential. Anyway, thanks for posting these pictures!</p>

<p>I think Matthew got it exactly right, if it is "broken", its broken in exactly the right way. You can get a tack sharp lenses all day long, but how many times would you have to drop them just right to get these kinds of results? ;)<br>

Lovely shots, I think you are right John, the portrait lens potential is definitely there. Thanks for posting these.</p>

<p>hey guys thanks for the nice responses, im planning on doing a portrait session with it tomorrow, it is a really neat lens, the guy i bought it had never used it so he decided to sale it, i didnt really know what i was getting, it was manufactured by B&L and sold under the name Andrew J Lloyd of Boston, the fellow bought it for his 8x10, i actually have it mouted on my 5x7 and used my 4x5 back to test with. will post some more </p>

<p>no it has both elements, it is in a shutter but does not work, i contacted jim galli over at LFF who in my opinion is the brass lens master and he told me that those lenses will not even begin getting sharp till about f16, this particular one has no aperature scale, so its kind of stuck wide open, i have another b&l that is tack sharp in the center. it would be kind of nice to be able to stop it down a bit for focussing though, its a pain to focus especially with a low contrast scene, but im really enjoying the look, doing a portrait with it today. thanks for the nice comments</p>